What Duck Done

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lyla1953, Aug 3, 2013.

?

Would you buy this if it became available?

1. I'd buy it for sure as soon as I could grab a copy.

51 vote(s)
    49.5%
  2. I'd certainly think about getting it.

27 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. I already have it.

22 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. No, it's not something I'd be interested in.

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

(Could you guys please vote in the poll for us - thanks! BB)

I'm finding this book, 1st or 2nd edition is very difficult to find...Anybody know where I can find one????
    ...new or used
  2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Good luck - I have looked for this everywhere online and can't find it new or used.
  3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I saw a used one on Amazon a few months back. The seller was asking $150 for it.

I have a copy and was thinking of scanning it to a PDF but I do not know the legal implications.
    I will never sell it.
  4. BassyBill

Media:
    If you scan it and distribute it, you could be liable to be sued by the intellectual property owner, so that's a no no. I'm sure it will come back into print at some point but I guess those of us who would like it will just have to be patient.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

It was out of print for a while and then they did a small run. I got a copy when they did that. If you contact the publisher they might start a list of interested purchasers. If they see enough interest, maybe they'll print a bunch.

Whatever happened to the great idea that books are published on demand? I thought with the internet and computer automation, that the publishers would only print to order and that way there's no waste.
  7. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

It pops up on eBay from time to time. I think I paid close to $50 "buy it now" for my copy last year. The correct spelling is "What Duck Done", which might help in your searches.
  8. BlackRussian

BlackRussian Padawan Learner

I keep hoping that www.bassbooks.com will convince Tim Tindall to make another run available. I write to them every once in a while. I've never received a reply from them. eBay will probably where I find it. I'd rather pay a publisher so some of the cash finds it way back to the music world.
  9. lyla1953

I wonder...who would own the copy rights? I'm not convinced the publisher is in business anymore. I haven't found much on the author either.
  10. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    USAF Band of Flight, Dayton, Ohio
    Generally, the author of a book owns the copyright for his life time, plus an extended time past that. If there is some other agreement made with a publisher, then the time frame is a little different. However, in either case, we're talking about a decades-long copyright ownership, not just a few years.

I agreed that this book should re-released / reprinted!
  11. BassyBill

Media:
    I just emailed bassbooks.com and I'll let you guys know if they get back to me.

I've also corrected the spelling in the thread title (so this shows up in online searches) and added a poll to get a better estimate of the number of possible sales. Please spare a few seconds to vote. If we get enough responses I'll email them again with a link to this thread and maybe also enquire about the possibility of making the book available to purchase electronically.

lyla1953 - Your opening post has been edited slightly, just to draw a little more attention in the pop up bubble that appears when people are browsing the forum index. ;)
  12. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Good luck, the world needs this in print!
  13. BassyBill

Media:
  14. BassyBill

Media:
    Any more takers? At the moment it's not looking like they're going to be doing a special print run for us based on these numbers. Maybe we could ask about buying it as a PDF, but if I was the author I'd be very reluctant to go that route for obvious reasons.
  15. lyla1953

I'd think the response would be stronger if the poll was moved to the bass and db main forums.
  16. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Well, he was just a Soul, R&B and Blues man.

I think if you had a poll for a book called Cliff Notes and it was in tab only you would get plenty of responses. :D
  17. Billy K

Billy K

would buy the book
  18. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I voted that I would buy the book, and I certainly would, but let's be honest, Duck is far more easily learned by ear than, say, Jamerson or Jemmott. The huge trick with Duck is getting that laid-back feel happening, and you can't really transcribe that. But yeah, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
  19. BassyBill

Media:
    ^^^^ True enough. I just like having transcriptions of stuff because I'm basically lazy and it's easier to let someone just write it out for you than learn it by ear. :p
  20. BassyBill

Media:
    I don't know what you mean by "the bass and db main forums". This doesn't belong in the "basses" forum if that's what you mean.

The GI forum is normally the place for discussions of transcriptions and the like.

I think some of the comments about there actually being fairly low demand for the book are probably right. We've had hundreds of views of this thread and a very limited response. Oh well, it is what it is... shame, but never mind.
  21. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I voted no, because I basically almost never buy books. I would happily borrow it from my library though. ;)