1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What effect to create an ambient 'pad' ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ambientbassist, Feb 28, 2014.

1. ambientbassist

ambientbassist Supporting Member

I mean the sort of synth type pad of sound that you hear Steve Lawson using behind his looping.

Is it just an ebow and a looper ?

Thanks !
  2. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

I'm not too familiar with Steve Lawson, but I'd recommend a reverb for this effect (preferably one with a long-ish decay that lets you go to 100% wet blend). I've used a bunch of different reverb pedals for this purpose and my favorite is easily the SA Dimension, so that's my recommendation. Team it up with a delay, or put some kind of pitch shift/octave up goodness in front for even bigger, wider pads. :)
  3. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

Delay and verb were my answers as well. Volume pedals work nicely but so do volume knobs.
  4. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

IME you won't even need a volume knob to do swells if you have a reverb at 100%/0% wet/dry mix. Try fast tremolo picking or rapidly fingerpicking octaves/chords, starting out quite gently and then gradually increasing the intensity. One of my favourite techniques, and it can go from soft, soothing "pad"-sounds to enormous screams.
  5. DirkP

DirkP

According to himself, he is using a lexicon (so definitely a kind of reverb) and an ebow. The ebow sounds really interesting.

Dirk
  6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Try a reverb with a shimmer mode:

E.g:

Line 6 Verbzilla
    Behringer RV600
    Mooer Shimverb
    Neunaber Wet
    Strymon Bluesky
    Mr Black Eterna
    Stanley FX Gold Mine
  7. ambientbassist

ambientbassist Supporting Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, I'll experiment with some verbs and delays on my laptop, and see what I can come up with, prior to buying some effects.
  8. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I use the pod hd and run the particleverb and octiverb in series cant remember the order off the top of my head though. could do the same thing with the m9 or m13 I'm guessing, as far as individual pedals; the Hardwire supernatural and the space station sounds on the digitech ex7 are also pretty cool. basically with all these theres an octave up and reverb going on.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

EHX Superego excels at this.
  10. thumbs3000

thumbs3000

I had my gear set up today and I read this thread so I thought I'd post a video of how I sometimes do synth pad sounds on bass. Check it out:

11. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

The main things I use for big ambient sounds are reverb, delay, chorus, envelope and a VOLUME PEDAL.

Getting rid of the attack is vital to creating pads rather than echoing rhythmic effects. I often use an envelope filter of some sort after the delay so that the 'shape' of the sound is constantly shifting...

Enjoy :)

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net
  12. Joeynone

Joeynone Supporting Member

EHX Superego all day
  13. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Yup. Though I guess you should probably do what Lawson recommends to get a Lawson sound.

Alternatively heavy fuzzes can completely take away you note attack and some can drone on their own.

Alternatively alternatively you could use a Roland GR system and trigger actual synth pads.