what else sounds like this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groooooove, Jan 26, 2014.

1. groooooove

groooooove

http://www.amazon.com/Frosty-Christ...id=1390759664&sr=8-1&keywords=mike frost jazz

the bass is a clifford roi. i've posted many times on here about them and my experiences with the builder and the instruments- i'm really, really lucky to own two of them. getting them is becoming more and more difficult, and was not easy in the first place. he's not a full time luthier, and has no interest in taking new orders, he's quite busy.

i've been under the impression that there is literally nothing like these basses anywhere else in the world. i'd love to be proven wrong, because id love to see more instruments that feel and sound like this, but i'm doubtful.

they have big crisp slap sounds without being scooped, crystal clear high end, really punchy and deep bridge pickup sounds that never get too nasally or thin.

what else can do that?

i have a feeling a lot of people will recommend fodera, so i'll have to say off the bat that i've tried and they're just not the same.

come on talkbass, proove me wrong.

thanks guys.

edited for better audio samples from the amazon link.
  2. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Just sounds like a bass,.....nice tho, But a bass.
  3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Yeah... I'm not hearing anything there I haven't heard a dozen times before from a dozen different basses.
  4. groooooove

groooooove

maybe it's because ive played many of these and heard them in person, i have an idea of how different these sound than most basses.

probably not the best recording to have posted. here's a studio recording of one:

http://www.amazon.com/Frosty-Christ...id=1390759664&sr=8-1&keywords=mike frost jazz

maybe a lame example, but it's a recording i know these basses were used on. first track has a clean bass sound that has the vibe im talking about. deep punch and clear high end.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. groooooove

groooooove

no love for the new link?