What factors contribute to clear harmonics on a Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svt1233, Dec 24, 2012.

1. svt1233

svt1233

What components of a bass give certain basses a clear and lasting harmonic ringing? Is it like the neck, or electronics, or other?
  2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Resonance of wood as well as having pickups in enough locations to pick up the harmonics. Usually multiple pickup basses have better harmonics.
  3. cdef

cdef

Roundwound strings.
  4. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

Good intonation and a bridge pickup.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

+1 - A new set of strings always sounds great. When they're new, you can pull harmonics from pretty much anywhere. Older/dull strings will lose some harmonic qualities over time.
  7. svt1233

svt1233

Reason being is because everytime I play a geddy lee sig I get very little and dead harmonics that are practically not existent yet I can make every other fender jazz sing
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good playing.

:D
  9. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

I used to think it was all about pickup location until my p bass completely schooled my warwick $$ at harmonics. I mean with the bridge pickup solo'd and treble knob boosted the warwick can produce some great harmonics but that's not a good tone for playing in a band. The P cranks em out clear as a bell while fitting perfectly in the mix. Even with dead strings they still sound strong. I can't say I have any idea why. Just one of those bass mysteries I guess.