What factors contribute to clear harmonics on a Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svt1233, Dec 24, 2012.

1. svt1233

Jan 15, 2012
    What components of a bass give certain basses a clear and lasting harmonic ringing? Is it like the neck, or electronics, or other?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Resonance of wood as well as having pickups in enough locations to pick up the harmonics. Usually multiple pickup basses have better harmonics.
  3. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Roundwound strings.
  4. zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Good intonation and a bridge pickup.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. +1 - A new set of strings always sounds great. When they're new, you can pull harmonics from pretty much anywhere. Older/dull strings will lose some harmonic qualities over time.
  7. svt1233

Jan 15, 2012
    Reason being is because everytime I play a geddy lee sig I get very little and dead harmonics that are practically not existent yet I can make every other fender jazz sing
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
  9. IronLung1986

May 19, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I used to think it was all about pickup location until my p bass completely schooled my warwick $$ at harmonics. I mean with the bridge pickup solo'd and treble knob boosted the warwick can produce some great harmonics but that's not a good tone for playing in a band. The P cranks em out clear as a bell while fitting perfectly in the mix. Even with dead strings they still sound strong. I can't say I have any idea why. Just one of those bass mysteries I guess.