1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What factors contribute to clear harmonics on a Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svt1233, Dec 24, 2012.

1. svt1233

svt1233

What components of a bass give certain basses a clear and lasting harmonic ringing? Is it like the neck, or electronics, or other?
  2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Resonance of wood as well as having pickups in enough locations to pick up the harmonics. Usually multiple pickup basses have better harmonics.
  3. cdef

cdef

Roundwound strings.
  4. zortation

zortation Distant relative of Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson Supporting Member

Good intonation and a bridge pickup.
  5. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

+1 - A new set of strings always sounds great. When they're new, you can pull harmonics from pretty much anywhere. Older/dull strings will lose some harmonic qualities over time.
  6. svt1233

svt1233

Reason being is because everytime I play a geddy lee sig I get very little and dead harmonics that are practically not existent yet I can make every other fender jazz sing
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good playing.

:D
  8. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

I used to think it was all about pickup location until my p bass completely schooled my warwick $$ at harmonics. I mean with the bridge pickup solo'd and treble knob boosted the warwick can produce some great harmonics but that's not a good tone for playing in a band. The P cranks em out clear as a bell while fitting perfectly in the mix. Even with dead strings they still sound strong. I can't say I have any idea why. Just one of those bass mysteries I guess.