What Flatwound strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by milkman-27, Dec 21, 2013.

1. milkman-27

milkman-27

I am wanting to string my Fender American P bass with flatwounds. I have used D'Addario Chromes in the past but I was wanting to get some input on what would be a good flatwound to use. I play mostly classic/roots rock.
  2. Bart277

Bart277

I have tried alot of flats and always go back to Chromes. TI's are good but very low tension I find them hard to play fast
  3. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

After playing Chromes for a while I put some Fender 9050 flats a my split p PuP Blacktop Jazz.
    The Fenders are just right, the best choice for a split p PuP.
    I hate Chromes now.
  4. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

+1
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Try some GHS Precision Flats. They are nice tension, old-school sounding flats that don't need an extended break in time. Would be perfect for R&B, Rock, Blues and rootsy music styles out of the package, and they are some of the cheapest flats on the market as well. Purple silk just looks classy on some basses as well.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I used to have Rotosound 77 Jazz flats on my P bass. I switched to LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats and never looked back. (And I love the 77s on my Rickenbacker).

IMO, P basses want a warmer, darker round than Chromes or Rotos. LaBellas fit that bill nicely.
  8. OEW3

OEW3

LaBella Deep Talkin Flats. At least try them. I'm glad I did, bought a set used here on TB, cheap.
  9. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

10. soulman969

soulman969

The best value alternative would probably be the GHS Precision Flats and the pricier but more versatile alternative would probably be that La Bella 760FLs. Both will get you that solid vintage PBass thump. Chromes are much brighter string.
  11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    the 9050SL (special light) fenders are my favorite flats on a Fender bass but I just found out that Fender discontinued them (IMO, a very stupid move). they only offer the 9050L's now if you want a light gauge flat. the only difference between them is that the SL's have an .040" G (which has a more balanced tension) and the L's have an .045" (which feels stiff compared to the other 3 strings). i'm bummed. :bawl:
  12. Linnin

Linnin

+1 Except in my experience, they do need an extended break in period.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/praise-report-ghs-precision-flats-1009326/
  13. quiltkitty

quiltkitty Supporting Member

I like my Chromes very much. There is a break in period though.
  14. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

LaBellas... plenty of thump to go around, but they do have an edgy top end (moreso than say, GHS) if you crank the tone up. For me, they just seem to sit the best in a classic rock mix of all the strings I've tried.

Watch out, though... their buttery, glassy smoothness is nothing short of addictive.
  15. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Ernie Ball are a good lower price option. You could also use DRs which are my favorite for my P bass too. The DRs cost twice as much as the EB strings though.
  16. woolysock

woolysock

Got a set of DR Legend flats for my P-bass. Sounded great (thick and punchy) but felt a little stiff. Allowed me to lower my action a bit.
    Got a light gauge set of Sadowsky flats to try lower tension. Sounded more mid-focused but had to raise my action.
    Today the DR Legends went back on the P-bass.
    The Sadowsky flats will go on my 62 ri Jazz.
    Must say flats are addictive ;-)
  17. Salamenster

Salamenster