1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What genre do we play?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by haunterofthedar, Oct 30, 2013.

1. haunterofthedar

haunterofthedar

We just recorded our first demo track, and well it is fine but we have a problem, we don't know how to classify it. I mean, is it metal? Is it punk? Is it lounge (the most fearsome kind of metal, ever, period). Here you can have a listen, http://soundcloud.com/haunter-of-the-dark/cult-of-the-dead-haunter-of/ . Hope you can help us, we would also appreciate any feedback. :help::help:

2. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

Post punk garage rock! Don't worry about labels just write songs you like, let others decide how to label you. Western society is fixated with labeling, don't follow the sheeple.

3. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Genres are for critics. Iggy Pop is said to be "protopunk", "garage rock", "post rock", "glam rock" ad infinitum. I doubt he called it anything but rock n roll.

Sorry if that doesn't seem too helpful but, to my mind, it's very helpful.

4. El Raro

El Raro

God, I hate this word. It just reeks of pretentious elitism.

But he is right. Don't worry about what to label yourself. As far as you're concerned, you're playing in a rock n roll band. Let jaded "fans" throw terms like "post-punkcore", "Grind-pop" and "Symphonic post-thrashcore" your way as they please. Don't let a mere label define your craft.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. haunterofthedar

haunterofthedar

Well, then I think we should just ignore the genres and just do whatever we like. I guess that will be way better than being limited to an specific style. Thank you.

7. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

I hate it, too. But not for the same reason. To me it reeks of a 15 year old who thinks they're 'different'.

8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I would say more Punk then Metal. The singer in my band got butt hurt when a local radio show labeled us as Hard Rock instead of Metal, LOL