What good p bass to buy??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gazwolf321, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Gazwolf321

Gazwolf321

I have a fender jazz bass but I'm looking to add a p bass to my collection for more of a bottom end sound. I find the jazz a little light for the band I'm in. I am used to playing the j bass and I want a p bass that's as nice to play. Budget prob around €500 and I don't mind going second hand. Any suggestions would b great.
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Here's a crazy idea... How about a Fender P-Bass??
  3. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I'm not sure of the exchange rate but I think either a used MIM Fender or a new Squier Classic Vibe model. Both are near your budget and excellent P basses.
  4. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    don't know how are the prices in europe, but yes, Fender MIA is the most P you can get anyway...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

I recently bought a MIM standard P bass. Being the low end P bass, I was a bit sketical before I tried it but I ended up loving it. Plays and sounds great. I got a really good deal on mine from zzounds. I paid less than what they list if for as I asked them for their best price.
  7. portlandguy

portlandguy

MIA all the way!
  8. throwdown

throwdown

Sandberg VS is a great choice.
  9. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

It is my opinion and experience that the MIA Fenders cost about twice as much but are seldom twice as much bass... I have played my 1975 Fender Precision since new and many many more since then and presently own a VM Jazz and it was the best bass I ever bought for less than $400 and beat many $600 basses I have played. Further My VM Jazz plays better than a few MIA's that are on the wall at GC right now and they cost over 3 times as much as my VM model.
  10. mystic38

mystic38

Take a look at the g&l sb-2 .. It's a p bass type sound on steroids with a jazz type neck... Less neck dive and easier to play
  11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

If you get a good one, the MiMs can be a pretty darn good bang for the buck.

My guitarist says the neck on my mexican blows any US made he played out of the water and I have no reasons to believe he's BSing me lol.

Only thing I didn't quite like was the pickups, tossed 62 RI in there and I couldn't be happier.

I'd go with the used American route too though, but certainly no shame in picking up a mexican!
  12. msact

I enjoy playing my MIM P bass better than any other, including my Ibanez SR500 that many rave about. It has the most natural, comfortable feel of any bass in my lineup.
  13. electracoyote

electracoyote

Yep. Especially the past few years when they started offering maple boards.

[​IMG]
  14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Have you considered something with a Precision/Jazz pickup configuration? Personally, I really dig my Squier P-Bass Special (P-body, Jazz neck, P/J config) for it's "best of both worlds" groove.

If you're used to a Jazz body & neck and want to stick with what's familiar to your hands, there are other possibilities. Such as...

Another personal favorite of mine is the Fender Aerodyne Jazz. It's a full-on Jazz bass with some minor, but really cool, technical modifications (slimmer/lighter body and neck, P/J config, strat-style output jack).

One last suggestion; a Fender Blacktop Jazz. It's also a straight-up Jazz bass, but it has a double-Precision pickup configuration. I tried one out last week and it roars like thunder! :eek:

Suggestions and opinions aside, try as many as you can get your hands on before buying. It's the best way to find out what works best for you.
  15. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I concur. I love my 2011 Fender MIM Standard P. Mine was a FSR in White Chrome Pearl. $530 US new... you can get them used in your budget
  16. msact

I bought mine last month from zzounds new for $476. A great price.

IMG_20121202_111358.jpg
  17. zachoff

zachoff

For options other than Fender...

Yamaha BB (the old Japanese ones)
    G&L SB-1 or SB-2
  18. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the U.S. model P basses, the MIM variety tend to be more hit or miss in quality.
  19. zachoff

zachoff

The USA Peavey Fury is a good bass as well.
  20. Gazwolf321

Gazwolf321

Plenty to look at for me thanks guys
  21. electracoyote

electracoyote

Definitely depends on the era.

I have four contemporary Fender MIM's made within the past four years. Not one "miss" among them. I'm passing on USA-made Fenders (although I can afford them) because I can't justify the $900.00 mark up.