1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What great tone/small size amp should i choose between these Ampeg-EBS-Hartke ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Cuniliguns, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Cuniliguns

Cuniliguns

Hi TB'ers

I've been playing on a Stagg 20 Watts amp since i started bass'ing 3 years ago. The other day i went to the store and tried a random amp, 40 or 50W, with my one and only yama rbx170 and the sound was...i mean it was a like a new bass I've never heard before!

I was thinking about a pickup upgrade or some tweaks on the bass but I've read somewhere that the amp is so much important that I've decided to buy a good small amp for home/practice.

My needs are mobility, so I don't want to go BIG, i need a good small amp, around 15 Kg tops.

I'm undecided between these :

I need your valuable help because you know about these things much more than I do, you've tried more amps and know what to look for.

I'm really thankful for your help guys,
    cheers

Cuni
  2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

My old EBS Drone combo (150W, 1x12") blows the doors off anything comparable by Hartke or Ampeg from the period, but that was a few years ago and a higher price range. While I often find myself arguing against posters here who are always telling people that they need much bigger amps, I think you should think pretty hard about whether 25-30W will really be enough for you at this point. Any of those practice amps will likely sound qualitatively better than your starter Stagg, but none will be significantly louder. You could back an accoustic jazz combo with 30W, but it probably won't be loud enough for you to play rock with a live drummer. Remember, it takes 10 times the Watts to be twice as loud! Again I'm not going to be one of those who tell you that what you need as a minimum is a 500W head and separate cabinet, but if your budget allows, or you have time to save up and look for deals, for something in the 50-150W range, you should consider it. The problem, as always, is finding something that is at the same time light, cheap, and musical.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My favorite of the two I've tried is the BA108, but I give respect to the Hartke as well. A different vibe than the BA108, but it's a good little practice amp, too. But I agree that if you're looking for a step-up amp, neither are the right choice for you. Better than your Stagg for sure, but you won't get significantly louder.

In the Ampeg line, I would suggest trying either the BA110 or BA112. The BA112 is my favorite of the BA line, but I have a BA110 and use it pretty regularly with my band when I need the smallest and easiest to move rig I can get away with and still get the job done.
  4. Cuniliguns

Cuniliguns

Well, here we are 2014. So I bought it! None of the above!! :D

I've bought the BA110 because on this video the 110 sounds more bassy, and it was only 70€ more.

I was really happy until I plumed it in the first time. I heard some rattling on the A string much like so many people talked about. However i remove the grill to check the speaker and BAM! it was gone like that.

My 2 cents are, the grill is attached with 4 velcro corners, If you don't press them well enough they will rattle. As far as VOLUME, I haven't went pass the 1.5-2 cause It's really loud. As far as TONE...now I understand what's the AMPEG TONE:bassist: and It's ****ing cool :D

It's Chinese but it's well constructed, nice finish, nice grill, nice everything :)

Completely stoked - In love

Thanks again for your help fellow bassists.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good deal, bro! Glad you're enjoying it, and glad the rattle was an easy fix.