1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What happened to BurningSkies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by will33, Feb 1, 2013.

1. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I thought maybe he got sick of the nonsense here or people giving him crap over a fEARful thing or somethin' but he has a good head full of practical knowledge, was always helpful when he could be and had a nice sense of humor as well. So.....what's up?

He did get married recently.....hopefully he's giving and recieving much enjoyment from their new-found life together and the cracking of the whip is still a year or two off.:D

...I kid....I kid.....

2. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing. Haven't heard from him in a while. Not here, nor on that other forum. ;) Maybe he's enjoying some tropical locale somewhere.

3. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Funny, I'm primarily a lurker here, and I was just thinking the very same thing earlier today.

4. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I think he's just grown tired of the whole online/forum thing.
    He pops up on Facebook from time to time. Sent me birthday wishes there.

EDIT: I just checked and BS had sent a friend request around the time of my birthday, not b-day wishes.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    That I can understand. I'm sort of the opposite. I check in on my Facebook no more than once or twice a month. Most people don't even know I have a facebook. It's mostly just there so old Army buddies and stuff can find me, though it's starting to get littered with people I could
    just as easily call up or stop by....much more active on TB.....different strokes......

I put this in Amps because that's where I hang out most, where I see him most, and where I notice most of his knowledge being contributed, although, the guy knows a good bit about basses as well, and has a fondness for slanted fret Dingwalls.

7. Troph

Troph

I am also the opposite. Facebook encourages narcissistic exhibitionism. Just say no.

"Yay me! Look at me! Pay attention to me! Ooh, nice photo! Ok, look at me again! Here's what I'm having for dinner! Vote on which shoes I should wear! Hey everyone it's my mom's birthday today! Wow, isn't this kitten photo cute?" :rollno:

I am simply not self-centered enough to think that more than 1 or 2 of the people on my friends list care (or should care) about such things. I guess that tells you what I think of those who post constantly on Facebook. :)

Now, of course, people who post constantly on web forums are completely different! :D

8. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Couldn't agree more. I logged on to Facebook one day after an absence of a month or so, looked around for a minute and cancelled my account. Just wasn't interested any longer....

9. bb03

bb03 Supporting Member

Here's something for you:

http://www.chargrilled.us/t-shirts/No-I-Am-Not-On-F***ing-Facebook-t-shirt.m

I'd wear it. ;)

And as far as Mr. Skies...he's a smart man. I like my wife better than TB, too!

10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I just recently ( in the last few months) activated my account (after being dormant for years) specifically for old friends who were spread across the country, etc. But alas, it has gotten polluted with people I don't need FB to contact. To the point I need to make another account, just for those people and lose my real-life "friends". I get it, it has uses, like keeping contact with people far away, or promoting your songwriting, etc. but, I think there is some sociopathic element to it for some folks that just screams " know me, think I'm important" that is just disgusting.

11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Wise words from, and for, a wise man.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Happy belated birfday boy! Yer catchin' up with me!! :D

13. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

yeah, definitely miss BurningSkies posts, lots of insight.

There's a couple others we've lost too that, at least for me, really made TB a lot of fun to lurk like Bill FitzMaurice and BigOldHarry.

Lots of world class expertise from the former and a lot of good practical and curmudgeonly delivered practical advice derived from real experience from the latter.

We must soldier on........:ninja:;)

14. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

How bout the jule monique thread?

15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more. I had an account for a month and closed it. It could be a great tool, but has become an overgrown, misused weed. Too many people seem more concerned with documenting and superficially polishing their lives on/for Crackbook than actually living them.

16. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

Just set up groups in FB with different permissions. No need for a separate account.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    Been a while since I saw him over there.

One of my local buddies used to be on here all the time and also is near non-existent.

He spent 10 years buying and selling, ended up realizing that he loved his Sadowskys and Aggie DB750.... And decided to spend his extra time actually playing bass vs. talking about it online. Not a terrible idea!

18. Lync

Lync

***LIKE***

LOL

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

:)

Hey everyone! Sorry for the lack of contact. I decided that I was spending too much time with online time wasting, and with the holidays, a bout with the flu and lots of work and family stuff that taking an online vacation was a good idea.

We've been playing a fair amount of gigs, with some really nice response, and I haven't bought a piece of gear since I got my Monique back in June. I've been pretty darned happy with things.

How y'all been doing? :ninja:

20. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Are you still playing that fabulous rastaburst Dingwall?

21. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

I can relate to the online time wasting thing.

Great...now I can't remember what was I doing before I went online!