1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What Happened to Malaysia 370? Part II

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jim Campbell, Apr 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

I believe this is of enough interest to continue.Let us keep the derailments,second gunman theories,grassy knoll etc. for elsewhere .If nothing else the input from those in the aviation industry has been a real education.

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

OP here. Thank you Jim for setting up part 2.

3. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

thank you for thinking of it in the first place....

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    News is now saying a chinese ship, outside of the assigned search zone, but comparatively close by, still basically several hundred miles generally west of Perth, has picked up a 37.5 khz "chirp". They're saying this frequency could possibly ocean mammals voices, but it repeated at a fairly continuous rate of once per second which would point towards it being the black box.

Basically, haven't pulled a plane out of the water yet, but believe this is the best sign so far. Assets heading towards the scene, hopefully before the batteries die.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

i may be wrong but is there not anti submarine gear that can be air dropped and the floating "pylons" used to triangulate locations from aircraft.......

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I think there are. I think this location is a couple hundred miles outside of the assigned search zone.

The news, in their never ending quest for accurate reporting, first said megahertz, then said kilohertz, as if that's just some minor difference/clarification.:rollno:

Anyway, just because there's "something" doesn't mean it's the box, but it's a promising lead.

Any of you pilots know if 37.5 Khz, or Mhz, is consistent with these boxes?

8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

I am not an active pilot but WikiPedia and a few other sources surveyed quickly agree 37.5 kHz is the freq.

9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

10. NWB

NWB

Yep. Sonobouys are dropped by anti-sub planes to detect submarines. It would seem that this technology would work for locating any underwater signals.

11. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

Too bad it is not a 37.5 Hz signal, it would indicate the presence of 5 strings bass player jamming somewhere in the ocean

12. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

The technology, sure. However - range of the underwater beacon is but a few kilometers. And while the sonobouys are good at hearing 'submarine sounds' i wonder if they're really listening in the ultrasonic region...

13. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

as designed for anti sub work,no,but it would seem logical to have similar devices set up for fdr/cvr pings available for recovery operations

14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

All just in time for ptII. How considerate.

If it's the right frequency, coming from a black box, they need to be virtually right on top of it to pick it up. Fuel for the conspiracy theorists, as the chances of coming across it randomly are tiny.

Leaving conspiracy aside, possible dodgy reporting too, it would seem they should be finding wreckage soon and eventually boxes.

15. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

sems to me they could have air dropped a bunch of them and the ships could recover them later,rather than wait for ships to get to the locations..

16. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I've read the same thing that the "ping" range of the black box signal is 2 - 3 miles ( ~5km? ). That also depends some on the geography of the ocean floor and where they're at, it could be 2 of those miles just from the bottom straight up to the surface. A ship would have to be almost right on top of it to catch the signal, to even know where to tell any underwater craft to even start looking.

We're also 27-28 days into the life of what they say is a 30-day battery, that may or may not have been stored properly, thus possibly shortening its working life some amount.

17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I really hope this is it, for everyone's sake. Fingers crossed.

18. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    +1

For me, it's been a really interesting, real-life mystery.

For the families involved, it's been a month of pure agony and the emotions that come with lost loved ones never being able to get past the initial "what happened" and deal with it. Like a whole month of the initial shock that won't stop. That's got to be just awful, having hopes raised only to be crushed again, over and over.

19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Should be getting daylight DownUnder. Maybe today/tonight will bring something.

20. NWB

NWB

I'd think so, but perhaps there are limitations to the technology in this case.

21. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You can bet the Chinese ship is doing small circles 24/7 trying to relocate the signal. Beats me how they can only lock onto it for a minute at a time. Perhaps the battery gives its all and the transmitter shuts off but resting allows a little extra voltage to build up and it gives another spurt. Or it's aliens messing with us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.