1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What happens to umpires who make blown calls?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Did anyone watch the Yankees vs Orioles tonight? Stupid Jerry Meals :mad: Teixiera tied the game, safe by a mile...but Meals made a bad call at 1st base, cost the Yankees the tying run and (potentially) the game.

So, say an MLB umpire piles up a bunch of bad calls (calling a player out when he's safe, etc.) Is any action taken? Does he just get away with it? I mean it seems most of the time they just get away with it, because very rarely do they use the replay feature.

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

They go to umpire jail.

I assume they probably get logged and coached on how to make a better call next time. MLB probably has some sort of threshold on errors allowed.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Umpires take pride in making the correct call. That being said, they are human and they do make mistakes. I'm sure there is a group of people that work for MLB that evaluate and audit umpires to keep them in check.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13. Gold Supporting Member

7. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I once heard an interview with an umpire and he said that if he only makes one bad call a game, it was a good game.

lowsound