1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What happens to umpires who make blown calls?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Did anyone watch the Yankees vs Orioles tonight? Stupid Jerry Meals :mad: Teixiera tied the game, safe by a mile...but Meals made a bad call at 1st base, cost the Yankees the tying run and (potentially) the game.

So, say an MLB umpire piles up a bunch of bad calls (calling a player out when he's safe, etc.) Is any action taken? Does he just get away with it? I mean it seems most of the time they just get away with it, because very rarely do they use the replay feature.
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

They go to umpire jail.

I assume they probably get logged and coached on how to make a better call next time. MLB probably has some sort of threshold on errors allowed.
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Umpires take pride in making the correct call. That being said, they are human and they do make mistakes. I'm sure there is a group of people that work for MLB that evaluate and audit umpires to keep them in check.
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

6. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I once heard an interview with an umpire and he said that if he only makes one bad call a game, it was a good game.

lowsound