What has happened to my RS210 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lloydage, Nov 30, 2012.

1. lloydage

lloydage

I was practising with different settings on my RH450 yesterday through my one RS210 and all was fine. I was at home and not playing loud.

Today I plug in and nothing is coming from the speaker (RS210). Its like it has died!! I have tested all cables and my bass and all is fine. There is definitely input going into the amp (RH450) - all lights on etc.. so its not the amp, cables or bass.

The cabinet is just dead!! Its either the cabinet or the input sockets. What could have happened? I wasnt playing loud yesterday so surely I couldnt have blown it.

Are they this unreliable??? What if this had been a gig??

Ill probably take it in to my local guitar shop later but wondered if you guys had any ideas or had experienced this?

Cheers
    Lloyd
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

First things first....let's determine whether (or not) the cabinet is seeing signal of any type:

*Plug a known good instrument cable into the back of the speaker cab provided it offers a 1/4" input. Conventional wisdom holds that only a speaker cable should be used but we'll be dealing with a low-power situation here in a second so it's of no importance for this application.

*On the opposite end of the instrument cable, take a 9v battery and simulataneously touch the (+) pole to the 1/4's tip and the (-) pole to the sleeve. Don't worry if you get the polarity backwards. Either way, if done correctly, the speakers should lurch either forwards or backwards with a very audible "whomp". Sidenote: it's amazing that a little POS 9v battery has that much juice, eh?

*Your results dictate the next move....IOW, get back to us.

Riis
  3. KJung

KJung

Per the above, when you eliminate cables, bass for sure (i.e., make sure you can get the input clip light on your RH450 to light up when cranking the input), then, make sure to take the head somewhere and try it with a different cab.

Cabs rarely 'fail', so if it isn't cable or bass, it is most likely something wrong with the power section of the head.

Very few posts of the RH450 having reliablity issues, but no line of gear is 100% failure free.

My guess is, if it truly is not a cable, the head (not the cab) will need to go in for repair.
  4. KJung

KJung

PS, also make sure that secondary volume control (it's been a while since I owned that head... I believe it is in the 'programming mode' on the tubetone control) has not somehow been set to 'off').
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

RS210 is Speakon only... no 1/4 inch connections.
    If the cable was bad and the amp is functioning, the amp would go into protection mode if it saw a short.
    As suggested above, I would take the amp somewhere and test it on a known good cab with a known good cable.
    Same with the cab. Process of elimination.
    Fishheadjoe
  7. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Tried a different speaker cable? All speakons are not created equal.
  8. lloydage

lloydage

Hi guys

Thanks for all your posts.

Typically I took it into my local guitar shop and it all worked fine...

God knows what that was all about.

Just tried it at home and its all fine.

Ordered my 2nd bass cab (RS210) so that should sort out keeping up with my very loud guitarist and drummer.

Cheers
    Lloyd (OP)
  9. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

We generally bridge the effects loop with an instrument cable to eliminate one possible cause of no output. But I'm not familiar with that amp & have no clue whether it even has an effects loop.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

You might well have not twisted the Speakon far enough to lock securely. I've done this myself!

This is one of the ways that I determine that i'm not perfect! Except for my rear end of course! :D
  11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Gremlins! They plague even the most experienced professionals. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Riis
  12. silence.speaks

silence.speaks

I had a similar experience with my RH450. Sound quit coming out of the cab, but I still had input signal from the bass as evident by the tuner responding. I plugged headphones into the headphone jack to verify the head was working and when I unplugged the cab came back on. Don't know if it's related, just a thought.
  13. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

The amp will go into protection mode if it is properly hooked up at the amp, but not properly attached to the cab.
    My guess is the same as above, you didn't have the speakon properly hooked up at the amp.
    Glad all is well now...
    Fishheadjoe
  14. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

I had a speakon that was loose inside, and it cut out. It was easy to identify the problem because when I moved the cable a certain way, it worked.

I opened up the offending end, tightened it up, and all was well.