1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What have you been listening to lately?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zachoff, Dec 26, 2012.

1. zachoff

zachoff

For some reason I've really gotten into honky tonk sorta Texas country the last couple years. Started w/ Townes Van Zandt and now it's moved on to guys like Ryan Bingham, John Prine, Hayes Carll, Robert Earl Keen, Guy Clark... It's nuts, man. I've been a punk rock/metal guy my whole life and always hated (and I mean hated) country... Damn near as much as dance music, but not quite. Anyway, that's it. Totally getting into country now and it's weird. Good, but weird.
  2. fmoore200

fmoore200

Cool, bro! I don't much care for country music, but can totally dig branching out to "foreign" music. :bassist:
  3. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Try The Derailers and Jason and the Scorchers.

Maybe Hank Williams III or Deertick.
  4. pica

pica

I've been listening to Led Zeppelin lately. I found their 4 CD box set really cheap last week.
  5. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

Lately, I've been wanting to check out Yes. Any good places to start?
  6. tdoody

tdoody Supporting Member

bill evans trio.
  7. lbanks

lbanks

Schmoyoho
  8. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Supporting Member

Personally... there's no better place to start than Yessongs.
  9. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I recently got into The Who. I have learned almost every song I can find by them. Extremely fun on The RIC.

Yes Fragile. Learn to play south side of the sky. You'll be glad you did. Then try Long Distance.:D
  10. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

Okay, thanks!
  11. Jothabass

Jothabass

Abba... Mr. Gunnarsson it's an incredible player!!!

And loooooots of Latin jazz too.., cant wait to see Michel Camilo with Anthony Jackson and El Negro Hernandez here in NY!!!
  12. Atoz

Atoz

Captain Beyond.
  13. nortonrider

nortonrider

Los Lonely Boys

A very talented trio!
  14. canopener

canopener

Thin Lizzy. As always.
  15. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Fragile all the way. Close to the Edge if you have time. Awaken and Sound Chaser are great songs I like in relative isolation (I'm not as much a Yes fan as others).

As for myself, I'm getting into Type O Negative again, along with more Fates Warning and some Dave Brubeck. Can't get enough of the drum solo on Take Five!
  16. Cosmeticplagues

Cosmeticplagues

I absolutely LOVE The Meantraitors' "Psychobilly Land" album, although the singer sounds like a cross between Peewee Herman and Spongebob.
  17. Spectrum

Spectrum

Something awful has happened recently, so I've been listening to a lot of Dead Meadow and early Pink Floyd for some mellow escapism. Particularly Dead Meadow's Feathers album.
  18. cdef

cdef

Scott Walker's new album Bish Bosch. Not exactly what you'd call easy listening, and I can quite see the point of those who deem it a pinnacle of artsy-fartsy pretentiousness. I still like it, because of 1) the free-ranging semantic and sonic imagination, 2) the subliminal humor, and 3) the recorded sound.
  19. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

Sera Cahoone
    Cracow Klezmer Band
    Musica Nuda
    Dwight Yoakam
    David Byrne
  20. SlowMike

SlowMike

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (hat tip to TBers for suggesting this to other people curious about jazz)

Trying to hear what the big deal "real jazz" is all about. So far I really like listening to it (love So What and All Blues) although I probably have no idea what's going on musically. "OK here's the deal, we start off with a catchy tune, then you, tenor sax guy, play a solo, then it's my turn, then the alto sax guy goes, and finally the cat playing the piano takes a shot." Seems as formulaic as your average rock song even if the music itself is way over my head right now.