What have you learned from Talk Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GregT, Feb 18, 2014.

1. GregT

GregT

If there has been a thread like this, I apologize in advance. I was thinking about all I have learned on here and wondered what someone else might have found important. For example, as a guitarist who plays bass also, I always thought bass was bassy. I've learned that it takes more than that. With some good listening to others here, I got some midrange going and it's way better. Instead of what-have-you-showed-others, I am interested in what you have gleaned from Talk Bass that has truly stuck with you. I am not looking for argument stuff; just friendly information in the good Talk Bass spirit.

2. woodyng

woodyng

That there is no best bass for metal.....
    :cool:

Just kiddin',one thing i've learned is that it is a great resource for getting dozens of totally different opinions on any given subject.....which is fine,it gives you a wealth of information to consider.

3. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap] Supporting Member

There is a best bass for metal, but that knowledge is only shared with supporting members.

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

I've learned over the years that most people on TB have a good sense of humor.
    There have been numerous times when I have spewed a beverage (usually coffee) due to laughing out loud.
    Also, the knowledge across the spectrum from experienced players and tinkerers is appreciated.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

Since I became a member many moons ago, I've learnt a hell of a lot from the TB'ers over the pond. Particularly on technical stuff regarding bass repair and modifications. I've also learnt a lot about pedals and how to get the best sound out them.. Thank guys!

7. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!!

One word...

RAGEQUIT

:rollno:

8. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

I've discovered a lot of strings, pickups and basses (especially SX basses) that I wouldn't have ever known about otherwise.

9. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

I've learned a lot of little things, the kind of things musicians talk about at gigs. Trouble with playing bass is you're often the only bass player around. Also, this is one of the best administered forums I found. Lots of different opinions, but even more respect.

10. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

I have learned that no matter how "dumb" I think the question I want to ask is, someone has already asked it, thanks TB Search tab! Also I have learned that the coolest people tend to gravitate to the coolest musical instrument.
    Thanks TBers!

11. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

I've learned more about bass gear and how it all works together than I ever knew before TB. Unfortunately, I also learned about the constant cry-a-thon that is band management, and also that on any given day I may have the wholly uncontrollable urge to slap the snot out of my guitard, and that I'm not alone!

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Learned that there exists a haven for those that take the low road.

13. Troph

Troph

My Top 10:

1. Good bass tone is in the ear of the beholder.
    2. With that said, mixing cabs is a bad idea 99% of the time.
    3. Thou shalt never criticize anyone playing a P-bass with flats through an Ampeg without expecting to incur the wrath.
    4. The percentage of people who understand Ohm's Law is small.
    5. "Upgrading" an instrument typically downgrades its value.
    6. I know I should spend more time practicing, but what if I miss a good post?
    7. JimmyM is usually right, even though it's painful to admit sometimes.
    8. Debating for 50 thread pages on alder vs. maple vs. ash seemed like an important issue at the time...
    9. ... until someone posted a recording of the 3 on which few could tell the difference.
    10. TalkBass has cost me $thousands, and yet I keep coming back for more!
    :bassist:

14. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I've learned a lot about bass amps and pedals and how to use them properly. Also I have picked up some very good info on things like strings, instrument cords and types of cases. The information that can be found on all of the different types of basses is amazing. It's also the best place to purchase used equipment. I have made numerous purchases and or trades for some things that I loved and hated. But for me part of the fun is messing around with the gear as well as playing out. Most of the people on this site are pretty solid individuals. I am on the site 2 to 3 times a day just to see what's happening.

15. Marial

Marial Pooped Gold Supporting Member

I learned that I've had GAS for a very long time, just didn't know what to call it. I've also learned that, thus far, there is no cure.

16. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

A lot of stuff doesnt really matter. Just play the thing.

That's what I have learned from other peoples GAS.

And what I have learned after I buy something, but I am the same crappy player I was before.

17. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

Too much to list, but the three most important things I've learned here:

1) floating thumb technique
    2) the existence of AudioKinesis
    3) how to maintain my own axe.

18. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

that red basses photograph the best

19. Major Softie

Major Softie

There is no tiny detail so meaningless and inane that there is not a camp of devotees on either side thoroughly convinced of the gross stupidity of the other side.

20. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

There are as many opinions as posters

21. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

VT Bass: My "Always On" preamp gives me the fat sound that make me stand out
    REDDI: My "Live Sound" tubey signal to the FOH......another way to have the dominant sound of the evening
    Lakland 44-64 P-Bass: The final element of the killer sound that I can now produce.
    Carvin: Excellent custom basses made right here in Southern California.

All this and more keeps me informed at a Global Level with all the Bass Players on the planet......