What have you made with a raspberry pi?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jamerman, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Jamerman

Jamerman

I'm quite interested what things you or your friends have made with this thing, so share with the world!

Edit: Micro-controllers and Arduino boards too, but I'm more interested in Pi than the others, but hey, go nuts
  2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Are we really limited to Pis, or other microcontrollers like Beagels and Arduinos?
    If just Pi:
    1) HTPC - very simple and common
    2) Arcade Machine - again very simple and somewhat common
    3) Media Services for a vehicle (audio & video. Can have multiple medias playing to multiple monitors) - pretty easy, though not super common. Had some interesting power design aspects we had to overcome, but wasn't too bad. Phase II is going to be mapping and GPS, but we have a bunch of logistics to work out for that. Also a few other ideas I can't talk to yet because it's for a design that may be marketed if it works out...
    4) Home automation - this I'm just really getting started on, but a Pi is going to be at the heart of it, with Arduinos carrying some of the load along the way. Everything from lighting and outlet power control to temperature monitoring, HVAC system scheduling and intelligence, windows and blinds control, HTPC control with scene tie-in...

And a backlog of about 15,000 ideas that I need time to work on :).
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Found on my desk:

On the left: PIC microcontroller, three output drivers for stepping motors, USB port. In the middle, an Arduino Uno with a photosensor plugged into it right now. On the right, a Raspberry Pi with an alphanumeric LCD that displays the network address when the board boots up, so I can access it remotely without needing to plug a display into it. I've had the RPi talking to my homemade gadgets via USB, and demo'd a complete working measurement instrument at my day job.

I've been doing small scale microprocessor and embedded development since sometime around 1984. My first target was 6502 assembly using an Apple II and then ported to a small dedicated board. I've done 8051 and PIC programming, originally in assembly and today in C.

It's debatable whether the RPi (or any of the targets that I'm using) are the "best" from a technical standpoint. But I think that the RPi and Arduino platforms are both excellent ways to get into embedded work, because there's such a huge number of projects that people have shared online. Through using the RPi, I've learned quite a lot about Linux. You can also learn this stuff on your main computer, but doing it on the Pi means you can screw it up and start over as many times as you want.

Attached Files:

4. OldDog52

OldDog52

I'm using a Seeeduino 3.0 (Arduino clone) to share a terrestrial radio on the interwebs. Anyone in the world can remotely tune my radio and sample what's on the air in the Pacific Northwest. Mostly it's used for DXing.

(I didn't write the code ("sketch") but I did tweak it to make it actually work)
  5. Register to disable this ad