What Head is the right head?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bruceon, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Bruceon

Bruceon

I recently purchased an Acoustic B410 MKII bass cab (600 watt, 8 ohm) for $150 brand new. Now I am in search of a bass head. I know I want to buy used. I have been searching but not sure what will be the best amp for the right price. I am looking in the price range of $150-$300. Here are a few heads that I've been looking at so far.

Acoustic B600h-$250
    Fender Pro 400-$200
    Peavey Max 450-$170
    Acoustic B200h-$120
    Peavey Mark VIII-$200
    Peavey Mark IV-$200
    Hartke model 5000-$200
    Peavey max 700-$200
    Fender Bassman 400-$200
    Peavey Firebass 700-$200
    Hartke model 3500-$200

They all are in mint condition, let me know which one seems to be the best deal, or other ones that are in the price range.
  2. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    OK so I'm seeing a lot of Fender, Peavey, and Hartke in there. I can't say that the new GC Acoustic brand gets too much love here compared to the old ones, but if you dig the cab that's all that matters.

Sorry, but the answer you will get from nearly EVERYONE is to try out as many as you can with that model of cab and see which one works best for you. It's true, but aside from the Acoustic b600h you have some solid companies that you are looking at.

Some people have awesome luck with buying heads used, but just be aware of the risk involved. If there isn't a transferable warranty you may want to save up some more $$ for a head you'll have a warranty on. YMMV, that's just how I prefer to handle amplification with my money. For your price range, check out some of these amps too:

Ampeg Micro-VR
    GK MB200
    Ampeg PF-350

For a little more, check these out too:

GK 400RB-IV
    Eden E300
    Carvin BX500
    Markbass Littlemark 250
    Ampeg PF500
    GK MB500
    Aguilar TH 350
  3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

You're pretty safe with the older Peavey stuff, although I can't recommend the Max 450 @ 8Ω, it'll be pretty anemic. The Firebass and the Max 700 are Identical other than slightly different front panel graphics - powerful, will blow your cab in short order if you boost the bass knob, which you won't want to do anyway - mud city.
  4. WingKL

WingKL

The right kind of head is the kind you get backstage after you play a great rock show. A GK 400RB could get you there. ebay lists a bunch starting at about $200.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

For a touch more $$$ you can get a GK 700 or 1001RBII. Either of these would meet your needs for years.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Used GK 400RB or 800RB. Either can be found under $300, and in the 400RB's case...well under. I bought mine from GC used for $150 and it's in fantastic condition.