1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What head to pair with hartke 400w 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Allhailthefail, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Allhailthefail

Allhailthefail

I'm upgrading my rig from a beringer 300w ultra bass combo (which I have found to be awfully underpowered) to a new set up.

There is a used hartke xl 400w at 8 ohms 4x10 cabinet at a local pawn shop that's only $150 that seems to be in good condition besides being dirty and a little used that picking up tomorrow.

Now I need you guys give me opinions and advice (links are always appreciated as well) on a the best head for the best price that will push as close to the 400w as possible to pair with it.

I'm trying to spend under $350 so used is the way I'll most likely be going. I play in a 4 piece rock/alt rock/somewhat experimental band so I need something strong that's going to push me through the mix.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Don't worry about "matching up".

That 400w rating is the THERMAL rating, not what it can handle in the real world. The mechanical limits (before fart out) is probably more like 250w.

3. Allhailthefail

Allhailthefail

@bass_pounder so what would you suggest?

4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

I suggest finding a head you like the sound of.

Use your ears, they will tell you when you are driving the cab too hard.

Can't get enough volume, then add another identical cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Be aware that the 410XL is rebadged from the earlier years, where the rating was like 240 watts (60 x 4)... same drivers I am pretty sure ... I like Hartke cabs, but I try to limit their 10's to seeing about 50-60 watts each ... make sure you try the cab before you take it out, if you can ... pretty easy to overdrive those with not nice results, and there are not many replacement alum cone drivers left from Hartke for most models ... and if available, probably cost prohibitive with what you are paying for the cab ... JMHO

One of the 'standards' years ago was a GK head on a Hartke aluminum cone cab ... and it is one of the combinations I still use/like today ... MB200, 400RB etc ...

7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

You can find used Hartke HA3500s rather inexpensively these days. Guitar Center has several of them listed on their website. They are rated for 350W at 4Ω and 250W at 8Ω. I have used this combination (with 410XL speakers) for many years and I really like it. It sounds even better when you have two of those cabinets. ;)

The HA5000 and HA5500 are also very nice amps. They have the same pre-amp but more power and used ones can also be found at fairly low prices.

8. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

New Hartke LH500, or a used Hartke HA3500 if you want more tone control options.

Carvin amps are also great bang for the buck.

9. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

I always loved a GK 400RB with that cabinet.

10. Allhailthefail

Allhailthefail

What would you all suggest for an upgrade from the beringer 300w combo I have now? I'm open to anyhting under around like $500 $430 combo or stack