What I need for a Peavey Unity Series truss rod adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Coreymcd22, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Coreymcd22

Coreymcd22

I recently started looking at an old Peavey unity series I never got set up properly, late 80's or early 90's I think, and the action is set too high. When I lowered the bridge saddles I got alot of fret buzz and sort of a note cutoff on the higher frets and that won't do, so I'm thinking a truss rod adjustment might be in order.

None of my tools are able to turn the rod though. It looks like the size allen wrench I need is somewhere between 3 and 4 but even the wrenches I have that are close don't even grab it. This is my first truss rod adjustment so forgive my ignorance but I just wanted to see if anyone had done one for a bass like this and knew exactly what tools I need. Thanks.
  2. elgecko

elgecko

3. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
  4. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Typically a Gibson 5/16 truss tool will work. Several players have tried to adjust them with a 5/16 socket, and it sometimes works. More often then not it mucks up the end of the truss channel(there's a tber from Europe who has the socket stuck and just adjusts it with a ratchet driver). Also, the rods typically don't have much extra threading, so it is a good idea to remove the nut, place 2-3 small washers on the rod, lube the nut, then return it.
  5. Coreymcd22

Coreymcd22

I appreciate all the good info, I'm gonna try a 5/16 socket since I can get one easy and then go from there.
  6. Coreymcd22

Coreymcd22

As an update to this I got the 5/16 truss rod wrench and it worked, the thing is I still can't get the action lowered for some reason. This is my first setup so I'm probably just missing something, but I've loosened the truss rod, filed down the nut, and lowered the bridge saddles (like I said before this works but also creates a fret buzz that sounds awful) and I still can't get this bass action low enough to really be playable. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? I'm also using a thicker gauge strings which I would think might have something to do with it, but not that much.
  7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Loosened the truss rod? That will give more relief and higher action.
  8. Coreymcd22

Coreymcd22

The Fender setup page said counter clockwise for lower action so that's what I did. I'll try going the other to tighten it.
  9. Low Class

STOP!! Do you know to check the neck relief?? Don't do anything til you know how to do that.

Get your neck relief right. That's what the truss rod is for, not adjusting string height. Then adjust the bridge saddles for the string height.
  10. RSBBass

RSBBass

What Low Class said. Make sure you understand what your problem is before you try to fix it. You may have too much or too little relief. You may have a high or a low fret. You may have a twisted neck. You may just want an action that is lower than the bass can give you. Find a good setup guide and some tools. Figure your your problem and go from there
  11. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    You're in, "Ready! Fire! Aim!", mode. Get more info, there's plenty available.
  12. Coreymcd22

Coreymcd22

Adjusted neck relief, according to the videos I've watched the amount of space between the feeler gauge and the string is right about where it should be. When I say "right about" I mean that there's still a little bit of space, but the truss rod is giving me a good bit of resistance now so I'm being very cautious to not make anymore adjustments and I'm doing very small turns.

Anyway, the way it is now the action is still high, and like I said before the problem with the bridge saddles is the noticeable fret buzz even if I lower them just a little bit. I've also filed down the nut but it's possible that I just haven't done this enough. I'm not sure where to go from here.
  13. Low Class

To your luthier!
  14. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

The old Peavey's are a pain to adjust sometimes and you have to be careful not to strip the nut on the truss rod. This can be a tedious process of loosening the strings, adjusting the truss rod then tightening the strings to pitch. On some occasions I have had to put the bass across my knees putting pressure on the back of the neck while adjusting the rod. Since your bass is getting tough to turn the nut you only want to turn the wrench 1/8-3/16 of a turn at a time.
  15. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

I would stongly suggest locating a local pro repairman. Being neckthrough the repair on a broken unity trussrod will likely exceed the value of the bass. However, if you insist on doing it yourself, remove the truss nut, place 2 or 3 small washers on the truss rod, lube the nut, replace it and start the process over(slowly).
  16. Major Softie

Major Softie

I'm totally in favor of people doing their own setups, but it sounds like you would be well served finding a pro. It sounds like you've already added to the cost of a pro setup (by the filing of the nut, which was probably unnecessary). As already mentioned, if you damage that truss rod, you will probably total the bass. Some people are just a lot better at playing a bass than they are at working on them.

Cut your losses: find a pro.

PS: As for this:
    Here's what the Fender site actually says:

If the neck is too concave (action too high), turn the truss rod nut clockwise to remove excess relief. If the neck is too convex (strings too close to the fingerboard), turn the truss rod nut counter-clockwise to allow the string tension to pull more relief into the neck.
    http://www.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/

Your misunderstanding of what they said is more evidence that you would be better served finding a pro.
  17. Coreymcd22

Coreymcd22

What I meant was tighten/loosen, when I turned the nut counter-clockwise it loosened it so I was just saying that I realized I went the wrong way. I suppose I'll be finding a professional soon, this isn't my main bass and I actually haven't used it much in recent years or else I would have already done so.