What Inspires You to Play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Timmah, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Timmah

Timmah

What music inspires you to pick up your bass and jam along or learn or practice?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

All music. Even music I don't like as long as I can hear a discernible bass line. It makes me wanna go home and learn it.

That's primarily why I don't like metal. Nothin against it or fans of it. I just can't hear any notes coming out of the bass. There's sound, sure, but not notes I can tell apart.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Love of music first, performing second.

4. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

A really good rock song that has a lot of bass-driven melodies. Or a nice ballad song that really shows the musicianship of the bass player.

No metal. Sorry. I hate metal. And screamo. Can't stand it. Makes my head hurt

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have always believed that the inspiration or motivation comes from within. There really isn't anything that motivates me to play other than the fact that I enjoy it.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I just like what the low frequencies do to my loins......:ninja:

8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

A song that is up-tempo, rocks hard, and makes my head bob always gets me reaching for my bass.

9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Media:
    metal is my favorite genre of music to listen to, since it is all basically a heavy rhythm, however, I too am rarely inspired to learn bass lines from MOST metal, for the reasons you mentioned above.

However, I was very inspired to learn bass lines from Between the Buried and Me and Protest the Hero, but I just don't want to set-up my entire bass for drop tuning.

10. Auguste

Auguste

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for writing my answer.

11. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

My brain hears things and I want my fingers to play them.

12. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Hey man, that's cool. I just appreciate that you can differentiate between the 2.

As for metal with non-discernible bass, that is partially true, but there are many bassists out there that provide a strong a bass presence while keeping it very tasteful. But I know you probably don't care and it doesn't need to become one of "those" threads. :D.

OK, can't help it. If you check out Jeroen Paul Thesselings six string fretless work with the band Obscura on their Cosmogenesis album, you may be surprised. Or not. Just throwing that out their since he really has become a huge influence for me.

13. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I do like some bands that are essentially metal. Dream Theater. They're progressive metal but still metal. I can definitely hear the metal aspect to their stuff. Lordi, not sure if people know them well. You know, the Finnish dudes with monster costumes?

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    All music. I just like to play live and I like to get a crowd dancing and having fun.

Where else can you always be the centre of attention when you go to a bar, get free drinks and actually leave that the end of the night with more money than you came in with?

15. Zephrant

Zephrant

Hearing hits from the 80s that I've always liked and realizing that the bass made the song.

That makes me want to learn to play it.

16. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody gives me anything
    I just love the feeling I get when I'm playing a song live and it sounds great. Something about knowing that I'm the one creating all that lovely sound (admittedly with some help, but hey, I'm contributing at least). Keeps me coming back again and again.

17. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

The feeling I get when a song is written and completed--the sort-of Farm-to-Tableness (to borrow a buzzword) of writing original music--is magical and can be repeated as often as I like. A big part of that is that I'm constantly trying to live up to the ideas in my head. That's what makes me a better player and helps inspire me to pick the bass up on those free days when I'd rather watch a movie, or to hammer out a keyboard part when I haven't played one in 10 years ...

18. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

an itch in my head that makes me want to refine what I play into A) a song that can be performed by a band, or B) something I can layer 10 ways into a robust studio recording that I can put on a record but never perform.

lately I've just been writing songs so that I can jam on my hammond organ. So i come with some riffs, arrange them together, record a bass to a click, then some drums, then some guitars, maybe re-record the bass again, add some more guitar parts to make some harmonies, then add a huge layer of hammond organ until I feel it is cool.

19. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

See my signature line

20. groundhog

groundhog

Everything duff mckagan plays. He is the guy that got me into bass.

21. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

I blame excessive neural activity.