1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is a decent price for a used MIM P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TUEP, Dec 17, 2013.

1. TUEP

TUEP

I have an Ibby GSR-200, ATK 300, and SR-485. Yet, I remember years ago I had this Samick P-Bass, and a Peavey P-Bass copy. I miss the fell of the P-bass and have always liked the Fender basses I have played on in stores or of friends over the years.

So I am thinking in the next couple months on buying a Fender P-Bass. But, I am thinking simple, and stock. Just a plain MIM P-bass. They are like $580 new...so I am thinking a decent used one would would be around $300 out the door. Is that about right you think?

2. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

$300 isn't bad at all, especially for a newer one.

I have bought so many MIM Fenders for $200, P and J basses, probably 7 or 8 but that was all between 2008-2011 , I haven't ran into any that cheap in awhile.

3. electracoyote

electracoyote

$300.00 will get you one of the slightly older runs.

The newer MIM Standards (from about 2009 on) aren't that low on the street just yet. Probably closer to $400.00 street on those, but they are a bit of an improvement in my opinion, and they came with a maple board option. Worth every penny.

4. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

Look around online for examples of woods being used on Standard Precision's over the years. Some of those times Fender used traditional alder for bodies, like the U.S. The last couple of years, Fender's been using alder AND alnico pickups, instead of the usual MIM ceramic pup type. People have been wanting that for a good while.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TUEP

TUEP

Ahhhh...so there have been improvements to the MIM line in recent years? Didn't know that? I have owned two MIM Fender J's. One late 90's and the other early 2000's. They were strong on some points, and kinda weak in others.

Anyway...I love the maple neck on the ATK300 I have....I think that would be a real winner on a P-bass.

7. electracoyote

electracoyote

One of my most recent bass purchases is a 2011 MIM Standard Jazz, white with a maple board. Paid around $400.00 for it gently used/like new. Killer. It's currently one of my #1 performance basses, sounds great, plays great, took a set up really well.

I have a 90's MIM Precision, rosewood board, it took a little more effort and I needed a tech to help me dial it in. Nice bass now, but not nearly as trouble-free as the recent 2009-and-on run. I now own three contemporary MIM Standards; I just kept buying them for fear Fender will change their production method and standards again.

8. Fluid Power

Fluid Power

$300??? wow! Up in the great white northland, it's more like $250, some go as low as $200. The high is around $275. There are a few that ask $350-$400 but never sell. Ya, it sucks if your selling, but good if your buying! Of course a hard shell case can up the price. My last MIM I paid $210 for a 2004 Jazz.

9. electracoyote

electracoyote

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

GC's used gear pages, and CL are your friend when scouting for something like this - if you're patient, and ready to pounce on a good deal with cash, you can get a great MIM P Bass for $250-$350...

If you like Jazz necks and active electronics, some great deals pop up on the Deluze P Bass Specials - I know they're not the "basic P" described in the OP, but they really are versatile basses, and a great value on the used market... I paid well under $400 for mine, and it's been a real workhorse in a stable of MIA Fenders and EBMMs:

[​IMG]

- georgestrings

11. Panek

Panek

I bought my 2008 American Standard P-Bass new with hard case for $400 Canadian. Just take your time and keep an eye out for a good deal :)

12. electracoyote

electracoyote

@ georgestrings--Those P Bass Active Deluxes are the bomb. I have one in blizzard pearl with rosewood board. Not really the classic P tone, being active and all, but extremely versatile as you said. It's a "never sell" bass for me.

@ Panek--You can get arrested in my neighborhood for a deal like that. One would have to wait a very long time indeed.

And, just to illustrate current street values and play the tempter:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fender-2012-mim-p-bass-1035369/

(Buying from a fellow TB member is a really smart way to go.)

13. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for plugging my bass!

I have played older used MIM P's at CG that have been priced at $299. Personally, I think there is a big quality difference between the older ones and the newer ones. Mine is as solid as a rock and has a great neck. I played some at GC that I wouldn't touch for anywhere near $299.

Buying from a TBer is a good idea. At least you know that the bass hasn't been banged around by every teenager in the vicinity trying to impress his buddies with his slapping technique.

14. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

i just got a 2011 MIM standard P for $350 used from GC. after tax and shipping it was like $405 and worth every penny, hell i feel like that was a steal even, plays good and sounds great! if i bought it new only 2 years ago and sold it for only $350 i'd be pissed that i took such a hit on it, i lucked out

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I usually get them to cover the cost of shipping, so I just pay tax... I've probably bought atleast 25 basses that way, but have probably returned about 1/3 of them due to one issue or another... Still, I've gotten some really good deals on some nice basses that way - no complaints here...

- georgestrings

16. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

Depends.... a run of the mill I would pay $250 - 400... for a special one like a 50 RI $500 or more.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

No doubt - I call the sound more like a P on steroids, with ALOT of tonal range... Mine's a keeper, too - it's one of my "beaters", but has seen plenty of stage time, too... I had a fret level/dress done on it, and it plays as well as my MIAs - the neck isn't quite as stable, but it's not bad in that regard... Other than that, I just painted the PG, and left it as is:

[​IMG]

I'll probably get a gloss black PG for it, sooner or later - my paintjob is getting worn in a few spots... I figure I can buy one from Warmoth without any holes for the pots, then make my own to fit - seems like the most cost effective option to me...

IMO/IME, the MIM Active Jazz Deluxes are steals, too - I'll probably grab another sooner or later, just for grins...

- georgestrings

18. electracoyote

electracoyote

Yeah that's a beaut man. Love maple boards on these too.

I had to trace a template of the old faux anodized gold plastic original garbage PG and have a custom green sparkle one made for mine.

[​IMG]

19. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini

I recently picked one up for a friend with a maple board, Fralin pickup and Leo Quan bridge for $350. Plays great.

20. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Not a PBass guy usually. But found one on craigslist for 150 bucks, so I figured why not?

It was a '99 MIM - was sitting for a LONG time when I got it. Cleaned up the hardware best I could, straightened the neck and threw a black guard and chrome knobs on.

For under 200 I had a NICE player. ---Of course, that deal doesn't come along often. In fact, The woman was selling it for her son who had moved away. I was the first to reply -- she got 25 emails in 3 hours.

21. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

In my world standard MIMs go all day for $250-300. If they are models beyond standard such as classics etc, they go up from there.