1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What is a good bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by AllStarRick, Nov 14, 2012.

1. AllStarRick

AllStarRick

Hey there! I've finally joined Talk bass! Glad to be part of the low end community.

I just wanted to ask what a good bridge is. I've got a Squier P + J bass special that I've been modifying. The Squire bridge is pretty terrible... I was looking at the Leo Quan Badass II but I don't know if it will be too big as the Jazz pickup on the bass is already kinda close...

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-P-Bass-Special-Left-Handed~ID~3432.asp - This should give you an idea.
  2. mcnach

mcnach

What don't you like about the bridge you have, and what are you trying to achieve with the replacement?
  3. vgbob

vgbob

I've had a Badass II on a Squier VM Jazz and it was fine.
    I have a Babicz Full Contact on my MIM Jazz and it is a
    really nice bridge.
  4. atomicdog

atomicdog

What do you want out of the bridge? The stock bridge is hi-mass, right? Those provide a lot of sustain and contribute to what is usually described as "an aggressive attack." The BAII also has those qualities, but on steroids. The traditional bent-metal Fender bridge will smooth out your tone, addd punch and decrease sustain for a more vintage sound.
  5. AllStarRick

AllStarRick

I've been using this a lot for my work band (as my Yamaha Trb is getting repaired) and the Bridge slowly keeps changing the angles of the E and G saddles ruining my sustain. I feel that a new and better bridge would help the situation. Some of the metal is very worn out too as I've had it for awhile.
  6. AllStarRick

AllStarRick

I really just want a replacement that has decent sustain and good punch. Thanks for your reply. When I first started looking at bridges I was shocked at how big some were. I need something that won't big too big for the jazz pickup.
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Try a Schaller bridge.
  8. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

The Babicz Full Contact is a great bridge. Hipshot makes an A-style bridge with mounting holes drilled for direct fender replacement. The Babicz is a direct fit too.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Bass_bridges/Hipshot_4-String_Bass_Bridge.html

I dislike the Leo Quan bridges, simply because I find it tacky in the extreme to have the words "Bad Ass" emblazoned on the front of a musical instrument. They seem like decent bridges, but I just won't go there. Perhaps it would be an appropriate choice if a customer requested a bass with a confederate flag paint job, but until then....

Anyway...this Gotoh is also very nice, and inexpensive, and a direct replacement for Fender bridges.

http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-201-4-String-Bass-Bridge-Chrome-P138C718.aspx
  9. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I guess it's possible that the metal of your bridge is "weak" or inferior. But for the most Part the stock Fender "Tin Plate" Bridges are fantastic. My Fenders stay in tune for weeks once the strings are broken in. I've never experienced even the slightest geometric changes. Especially a change of angle at the saddles. I'd love to see a picture of what you're talking about.

If I was going to go aftermarket, I would look at Hipshot Bridges. They bolt right on and don't encroach on your J-pickup.
  10. AllStarRick

AllStarRick

Here - http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/968/imag0823n.jpg

Check out the wear on the G saddle. Pretty mad huh? What happens is sometimes the poles will slip too. This only happens on the E though. It's pretty bizzare I know. It's just a weak bridge. I might just go for a Fender replacement bridge. I just thought it would be worth looking at other makes of bridge to see if they had any different effect.

Thanks for everyone's replies!
  11. LB75

LB75

I like the Gotoh 201 for an inexpensive upgrade. It looks nicer IMO and I noticed increased sustain and more clarity. And it's a direct replacement for most Fenders.
  12. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

I'd stick with as fender bent-plate bridge. The BAII will add a lot of weight to the bass without changing anything dramatically. You will not be able to hear the difference between bridges (if there is any difference at all) in a band setting.
  13. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

I've had a BA 2 on a Jazz bass and there was no problem with clearance with the pickup.
    Bridge selection is all dependent on how much cash you want to throw at the bass. Beyond that these high mass bridges are popular, LeoQuan, Hipshot A, and Babicz. They are all around $100, brass (which I think all of these are made of) is a good material for bridges.
    However the American standard bend plate bridges are great too, ive put a few on my basses in the past to retain a stock/vintage look/feel. Plus the string thru option is there if that appeals to you.
  14. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Thanks for the Link. I am checking it out right now.:) I don't really see a specific problem but if something is moving around while you play that can be a pain. I have seen people "Zip Tie' the saddles together on Fender bridges to "Lock" them in place.
    I do recommend putting about a 45* bend in each string directly at the contact point of each saddle. That sort of locks the string a bit and actually lowers the action just a slight bit. It's what Fender does at the factory while installing strings.
    Gerry
  15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Are you a left handed player?
  16. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    If the saddles are lowering themselves from vibration, some blue Loctite--or fingernail polish--will fix it.
  17. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

Isn't there like 4,000,000 threads on this topic already?
  18. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

The best bridges are the ones made out of wood & super glue.
  19. AllStarRick

AllStarRick

Yes, I am a left handed player.
  20. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

The stock bridge plate is fine. Change out the saddles for a set of threaded ones and you'll be set. This also costs much less than a new bridge.

Basspartsresource.com has them for a good price. I use them on my main bass and have never had any problems with it.