What is a good do it all string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by graver555, Nov 8, 2012.

1. graver555

graver555

So I am a high school jazz band player in need of new strings. My director likes a very bright bass tone even to the point of takeing my eq and makeing a line from the bottom of the left to the top of the right because my strings are from early spring so are deader then the cow thats skin was made into my belt. :scowl: (I dont like bright bass but not my choice here)

I would just get some ss wound wounds but I have a big problem with finger noise. And it always seems like its on a ballet that I inadvertently go scccccc across a string.

My question is, is there a string that is bright but without a large amount of finer noise. I play with my thumb (I know its not proper technique and I cant play as fast) and we play a very large variety of music. Mayby this is asking to much. If so is it possible to eq it out effectivly? I think most of the noise is between the 1 and 2 khtz range. Is there anything else I can do short of sanding off my fingerprints?

P.S. if this is a lost cause any suggestions for a bright sounding string? Price really isnt an object as Im not paying for them.:D

And sorry if this has already been covered I looked but couldnt find one quite answering my question.

2. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Strange that your director wants your EQ like that. Not very jazzy... The finger noise is probably a result of the extreme treble boost.

Anyway, string choice is a pretty personal thing. I like nickel wound D'Addario's, but someone else might hate them. If you want bright then stainless steel is where you should look.

4. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I just slapped (literally and figuratively) some Dean Markley SR2000s on one of my P clones, and I have to say holy shite are they ever BRIGHT. Check them out, it may be what you're looking for without the insane treble boost. I had the EQ on my amp flat and I still got snarly, clanky bite out of them. I'll eventually get around to an actual review, as I haven't had enough time to really appreciate them.

OTOH, I do agree with the Chromes suggestion, I run them on my other P clone and I love being able to cop anything from deep flatwound thump to almost round-like snap (at about 2mths old). They'll mellow as you play (general consensus puts the time at ~6mths) though.

--Silvie

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. graver555

graver555

Definitely agree. I think a good thumb like sound flat wounds would sound alot better. But Ive always have had finger noise issues. I had the 1 and 2 Khz slider down and that helped and he didnt notice it when he was messing with it the other day because it was in the middle. Brand new director at our school. Has very very strong opinions and Im dislikeing him more and more but what can you do... :meh:

Anyway I think I will find a clip of some chromes thats not blocked by the school server to show him and if he likes them get those. If not probably some stainless rounds.

7. matante

matante

You can try the Rotosound half-rounds which are called Solo Bass. Another option might be coated strings like Cleartone.

8. graver555

graver555

If I remember right I had a pair of these last year and it took me about 2 weeks to get dirty enough for me but after that I loved them. The g broke dureing a basketball game tho and it was the wire going around the ball end pulled out of the winding which was a first for me. He got me some slinkys which have been on there since. Thanks for the suggestion I had forgotten about these strings all together.

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

I hear they are pretty pricey in the states, but I like Tomastik Infeld JF344's.

Silky smooth flats, lots of spring and flexibility - with a light touch they can still be played fast though (although not very). Good for everything but slap as far as my experience goes. But my slap technique is weak.

They have a very bright and forward quality to them that I haven't been able to shake for the last few months. They aren't rounds in terms of treble - but they are able to keep fingernoise to effectively 0 and are a lower tension alternative to chromes.

Chromes are great too. They keep their brightness for a while, but they have a unique sound - whereas the TI's seem to put out a more 'standard' sound . . . I'm not sure how to explain it.

10. graver555

graver555

By the way Im new to this forum (read some threads before but thats all) and I have to say Im really likeing it. Theres good advice and people are very friendly.

11. Wookieonbass

Wookieonbass

I always kind of liked Ernie Ball slinkys especially after they've been on for a little bit. Inexpensive too! Elixirs are pretty nice and don't have noise from finger squeaks at all.

I like chromes too but being flats they don't have that ringy snap like rounds although I think they are a nice all-round string.

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Circkle K strings. No question.

13. graver555

graver555

Hey I plan on running these thru body on a jazz bass. Will the contact core be a problem for this with the SR 2000's?

14. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

Yeah generally you can't use a tapered/exposed core string on thru body basses. That rules out the Circle K's mentioned above.

You said you like a bright tone, so that rules out the Chromes mentioned above also.

Sounds like you want nickel roundwounds. D'Addario XL's and DR Sunbeams are great all around strings. D'Addario's will be brighter, DR will be lower tension.

Best place to buy either of them is www.bassstringsonline.com
    Be sure to sign up on his site so you can get the TalkBass user discount!

15. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

:confused:

Chromes are bright strings, not just "bright for flats" but overall bright. It's easy to kill the bright with the right EQ, and they're not as bright as what people generally think of as bright strings (like ProSteels, SR2000s, Roto 55 or 66s) but they're bright.

--Silvie

16. graver555

graver555

I want to try the chromes but I dont have the cash for one of my personal basses and I think I will have a hard time convincing the director flats will sound as bright as he wants. Is through body worth it compared to top loaded? Ive never strung a bass through body before. Up until a few days ago I was playing an Alverez which I really like its nice and light but my director likes the tone of the Fender jazz so thats what I was going to put the strings on.

17. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Don't try and convince him, let your playing do it for you.

String through is a little tough to find strings for, and honestly I've never noticed any real difference. YMMV I guess.

--Silvie

18. graver555

graver555

I was actually thinking of haveing him get the strings and if he dosnt like them Ill buy them off him for my own bass and get the SR 2000's for the schools instead. Would the chromes work for thru body?

19. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Yes just most likely need super long scale.

Once strings are installed thru body they are basically not able to be used on a top loaded instrument as there will be a kink in the string.

20. graver555

graver555

Did not think about that. My logic was oh they will be long so I can them shorter to use on my p-bass. I think thats the nail in the coffin for the thru body idea. Im not willing to agree to buy strings that I cant use just if someone dosnt like how they sound.

21. drnknmstr

drnknmstr

You want a "do it all" string? I'd say D'Addario XLs. They're fairly cheap, nickels and they can be bright enough, but also tame down easy, less string noise than SS, won't eat your frets, and they age really well and gradually. Even fairly dead XLs sound good and versatile, whereas other rounds sound TOO dead.

Compression wounds like GHS Progressives and Ken Smith Compressors can be pretty smooth yet retain some brightness and articulation, but the D'Addarios are so easy to find. Not my all time favorite string, but the construction, intonation, and consistency are top notch. Not as springy as DRs or whatever, but since you need VERSATILITY, that's my pick.