1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is a good playing versatile SHORT SCALE bass for a small person

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmeknik, Jan 27, 2013.

1. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Hi TB my new gf is a :bassist: Bass Player, please pinch me I think I'm dreaming...:D She is a very short woman with small hands. Her current bass is a Hofner style beatle bass copy that is about 30" scale. Sounds meh (to me) and I want to get her another bass. She is into the idea and wants to expand from her roots (bluegrass) to more pop/rock/blues/modern country. I have an arsenal of basses all 34" and longer and have shyed away from short scale basses as I am comfortable with the longer scale (after 40 years of playing this year). So I desire some Talk Bass wisdom from short scale bass players. What do you play? What do you like? Our budget is $500 - $600 for now. The Kala SUB has already been considered but so far it seems a bit of a one trick pony, it makes very nice upright bass sounds good for bluegrass but I'm not hearing it as a good bass for pop rock covers. What short scale (28-30") bass is best for pop rock covers?

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

3. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I've been hearing and reading about them but haven't seen one yet. I have no experience with short scale basses so thanks. Anyone else have opinions about short scale basses for a pop/rock cover band? I see I can get a used Epiphone EB-0 for about $150 but am familiar with it's mudbucker pickup and thought it lacked a good clean bright tone. Anyone?

4. LarryCrabtree

LarryCrabtree Supporting Member

I have a short scale Epiphone EB3. They are a little hard to find but Gibson has them and they sound great. The other one that is still for sale is the Epiphone Allen Woody model which is short scale. Then there is also the Fender Bronco bass. If you can find one there are medium scale 32" P and J basses out there that are made in Japan from Fender that sound great also. I have tow of these. I also know that warmouth has parts for a 32" medium scale Jazz base that is pretty good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DanNowhere

DanNowhere

I'll second the Fender Mustang. It's almost a shorter version of a P Bass, although if you search around, short-scale P Basses exist too. Matter of fact, someone has one in the classifieds right now, I think.

7. WildWes

WildWes Supporting Member

SX (30" red), Ibanez (28.5" purple), Stagg (30" natural) are a few choices, each under $200.
    [​IMG]

8. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I like Danelectro Longhorns. Shortscale ,light and sound great. You can get them used in great shape for under 300 or a new Korean made for under 400. Or better yet a Jerry Jones Longhorn, but I doubt you can find one for much less than 800.

9. micgtr71

micgtr71

I have a 30" Vantage that is a phenomenal bass that we grabbed for 50 bucks off ebay. It plays well, sounds great (dimarzio p), and is easy on the hands. Double cutaway. The only detriment is that it is not the best looking bass.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

11. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I thank you for the great suggestions, Ibanez seems fairly popular here on TB and they seem to offer a few "shorty's" so I must check them out. I was not aware (until now) that the SX was a Jazz style bass, Love that purple Ibby too WildWes. Please show and tell more short scale basses you gig with or have gigged with and like(d).

12. toddoutloud

toddoutloud

A little out of your $500-600 budget, but maybe sometime when you're read to splurge, try a Birdsong. www.birdsongguitars.com. I own two of them and they are extremely good professional-level basses.

I also own a Kala U-Bass. Very good bass for the money and is a conversation starter at every gig I use it. I would recommend one of the newer ones with a preamp. I can't use mine (an older model) on a gig without an outboard preamp. The signal from the passive pickup is a little too weak.

13. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

1. Have you considered putting new strings on that Hofner copy? It might just need a good set up?

2. Get a Hofner Club Icon for around $300-400......very light, sounds fantastic.....I play Pop, Rock, Blues, etc with mine.......

3. Fender Shortscale Jaguar....great little bass for less than $200

4. Dano Longhorn.....sorry I sold mine

for starters, with many other short scale basses if those don't work for her....I'm a short woman with small hands too......

14. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I have a Mustang, and I really like it, but I wouldn't call it "versatile."

The Squier Jaguar SS might be a good choice if you switch out the bridge pup.

15. picerjamo

picerjamo

I have no experience with short scale basses so thanks.[​IMG][​IMG]

16. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

A Hofner Icon is pretty decent to play, though I played one with a terrible bridge pickup. Might be worth checking out.

17. lolmont

lolmont

I've heard the Squire Mustang is a great short scale for the price I'm considering one if I can sell my epiphone EB-3. As I don't own a short scale I'd like to own one.

18. KeithPoker

KeithPoker Supporting Member

I consider myself a short-scale expert. Tough price range, I think you need to go vintage and generally solidbody. Vintage because many new shorties sound way too clean for what they should be with a few exceptions, don't bother with new. Solidbody because you specified pop/rock. Fender Mustang, Univox Flyer, Vox, Hagstrom, and Hofner Artist come to mind. The only reissue I would consider is a Mustang.

19. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

Thank you to all, I am using this thread as an educational tool and greatly appreciate all who post with experience about short scale basses. Please keep the suggestions coming.

If I eliminate the budget limitations what higher end basses fit the "good shorty for pop rock covers"? I am impressed by Birdsong (a bit pricey but not for a professional level bass) and am interested in looking at all quality short basses. Anyone?

20. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago

There's a Squire Bronco Bass in the TB classifieds right now for a buck twenty five...

21. Hopfrogg

Hopfrogg