1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is a group of lemmings called?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, May 9, 2006.

1. bassteban

bassteban

This is not a test or poll- I'm just curious as to what's the specific name(if there is one other than 'group')for a bunch of lemmings(ie, school of fish, flock of geese, ______ of lemmings...).

...'carrot' of lemmings? :D

2. wwittman

wwittman

it's NOT a flock of geese..

it's a Skein of geese in flight or a gaggle of geese on water.

generally these terms, which are called terms of Venery (or the hunt), or venereal terms (yes), were only coined for animals kept in the households of the landed gentry, or hunted in the fields.
    although some related to people and some we still use today...

most of them date back to a book called The Book Of St. Albans.

so there's just no REASON for there to be one for Lemmings. (I might suggest a Republican House of Lemmings)

some of my REAL favourites:

an exhaltation of larks
    a clowder of cats
    a slate of candidates (yes, back to 1200)
    an abominable sight of nuns
    a gam of whales
    a murder of crows
    a host of angels (host being an old word for 'army')
    a pride of lions
    a siege (or sedge) of herons

3. bassteban

bassteban

I love TB.

But wait-
    :meh:
    The mere fact there's no reason for such a term does not mean there's not an admittedly (according to the preceding information) illegitimate one...
    :eyebrow:
    I wonder...

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Why do you want to know?

They're normally solitary animals, but go through population fluctuations and periodically swarm in mass migrations. The suicide thing is a myth.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

More than a myth:

Walt Disney's "White Wilderness."

"White Wilderness" shows the only known footage of the now-famous act of lemmings running over the edge of a cliff in a mass suicide. Ethologists watched this and wondered where that footage came from, because, no evidence exists that lemmings EVER do that, and further, you'll never see more than a couple of lemmings together in the wild. Ethologists will tell you that lemmings don't even travel in herds, even though they are the standard example of "herd-like behavior." So where did Disney get the now-notorious footage of lemmings committing mass suicide? They made it happen! Disney, true story, wanted this scene as part of their documentary, but they couldn't find any footage of it, they couldn't find anyone who'd ever seen it happen, and they couldn't capture any footage of it (because it never happens). So what did Disney do? Not to be thwarted, Disney hired people to herd up hundreds of lemmings and TO SHOVEL THEM OFF THE TOP OF A CLIFF WITH SNOW SHOVELS. The camera was at the bottom of the cliff, filming all the lemmings plummeting to their deaths!

7. JacksonsMen

JacksonsMen

i always thought it was just in the game that they would blow themselves up....which by the way was the greatest game ever. im off now on a hunt for a downloadable version so i can relive my days of being 8

8. JacksonsMen

JacksonsMen

and for those who dont know
    this guy pwns joo
    [​IMG]

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Norwegian lemmings apparently do swarm, which is where the myth originally comes from. I can't comment on the species filmed by Disney.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Whales travel in pods, do they not?

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

From snopes.com

Claim: During the filming of the 1958 Disney nature documentary White Wilderness, the film crew induced lemmings into jumping off a cliff and into the sea in order to document their supposedly suicidal behavior.

Origins: Lemming suicide is fiction. Contrary to popular belief, lemmings do not periodically hurl themselves off of cliffs and into the sea. Cyclical explosions in population do occasionally induce lemmings to attempt to migrate to areas of lesser population density. When such a migration occurs, some lemmings die by falling over cliffs or drowning in lakes or rivers. These deaths are not deliberate "suicide" attempts, however, but accidental deaths resulting from the lemmings' venturing into unfamiliar territories and being crowded and pushed over dangerous ledges. In fact, when the competition for food, space, or mates becomes too intense, lemmings are much more likely to kill each other than to kill themselves.

Disney's White Wilderness was filmed in Alberta, Canada, which is not a native habitat for lemmings and has no outlet to the sea. Lemmings were imported for use in the film, purchased from Inuit children by the filmmakers. The Arctic rodents were placed on a snow-covered turntable and filmed from various angles to produce a "migration" sequence; afterwards, the helpless creatures were transported to a cliff overlooking a river and herded into the water. White Wilderness does not depict an actual lemming migration — at no time are more than a few dozen lemmings ever shown on the screen at once. The entire sequence was faked using a handful of lemmings deceptively photographed to create the illusion of a large herd of migrating creatures.

Nine different photographers spent three years shooting and assembling footage for the various segments that comprise White Wilderness. It is not known whether Disney approved or knew about the activities of James R. Simon, the principal photographer for the lemmings sequence.

Nature documentaries are notoriously difficult to film, as wild animals are not terribly cooperative. Many nature shows and films of this era — including Disney's "True-Life Adventure" movies and TV's Wild Kingdom — staged events to capture exciting footage for their audiences. The sight of a few lemmings mistaking a lake or ocean for a stream and drowning after swimming out too far, or being pushed over a cliff during the frenzied rush of migration, has become the basis of a widespread belief that lemmings commit suicide en masse when their numbers grow too large.

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

I had actually heard someone use a 'plummet' of lemmings.

I know it's not legitimate but it amused me. What are some other collective terms that either are amusing, or would be if they existed? For example: A friend of mine uses made-up terms often and he might even be the one I heard a 'plummet' from. My favorites from him? 'an uplift of brassieres', 'an indictment of congressmen', and 'a shriek of singers' (That last one is because we are a music-related forum, after all.)

So what are your faves?

13. Thor

Thor Thanks Andy Pyle for showing me the way. Supporting Member

Media:
    A 'vehicle' of Kennedy's comes to mind.

14. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

Do you suppose this was derived because back then, they wanted to whack the candidates with a sharp piece of slate, just as we want to do now? :p

15. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

OH NO!

16. gottawalk

gottawalk

LMAO! ...all plunging into the Chappaquiddick...:eek:

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

I know it's tacky. But wouldn't that be 'a curse of Kennedys'? Perhaps 'a shame of Bushes',

Oh God. What would Bill and Hillary be? *shudders in anticipatory horror*

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The version of this urban legend I heard was that they revved up a Caterpillar D-8 and stampeded the little rodents over the cliff.

19. Toasted

Toasted

A TB[OT] of lemmings?

20. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Media:
  21. gottawalk

gottawalk

...hmm...a "humidor" of clintons...???:bag: