1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What is Growl

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by noplayer, Jul 12, 2005.

1. noplayer

noplayer

Nubie. Looked around couldn't find the answer.. What is GROWL?
    I know its the sound lots of you guys want can you define it to me or a recording thats got it?

Hungry for Knowledge.

Spelling sucks :meh:

Thanks
  2. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am interested in everyone else's response to this too. My idea of growl would be the opposite of a modern/sterile sound. Growl to me happens more on the lower end of the spectrum bass/low mids.
  3. noplayer

noplayer

so the sound is more ballsey um full.. rather than thin and more like a (EKKKK) clean sounding jazz guitar?
  4. protoz

protoz

For sound clips see: Black Sabbath
  5. Basshole

Basshole

While the "ultimate" growl is probably subjective, I would attempt to define it as "A strong fundamental, coupled with a powerful and agressive sounding midrange overtone".

The particular tone of the mid overtones are what really define "growl" IMO.

Try growling yourself, and think of an animal's growl: It basically consists of a low humming sound created by the vocal chords in conjunction with a raspy midrange sound created in the back of the throat.
  6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

7. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

I think an English teacher would say that the term "growl" is onamatopeic - the word sounds like what it's meant to mean (fancy, huh?). In other ways, a bass that growls has some "grrrrrrrrrr" in its sound! Try singing along with the bass line in this and you may see what I mean...

http://www.lizzydaymont.com/sounds/Bass-Drums2.mp3

Lizzy sure manages to get some growl out of that Geddy Lee Jazz! ;)
  8. Marcus

Marcus

Listen to some Yes.
  9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

When you are on the road you will be eating a lot of restaurant food. Unless you have a wife or girlfriend with you who likes to cook in hotel rooms, that means Denny's, McDonalds, and 7-11 for most of your meals. And if you are playing smaller venues, like Podunk City, that means a lot of one-of-a-kind greasy spoons where the food is very "special". You soon find out what the "growl" is. Be sure to pack a bunch of those car air fresheners to hang in the back of the tour bus. Five or six sweaty musicians trapped on a bus is bad enough, but add in the "growl" factor and the stench can be unbearable. :meh:
  10. BassikLee

BassikLee

Disclosures:
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    if you listen, she's got at least a few of the key elements of what "growl" is, at least for me. There is a good bit of overdrive happening. It isn't super distorto, but it is driving. Then, she's got that "J bass low mid throaty" thing happening, then even though it sounds like she's playing with a pick, she's got that "Geddy Lee" attack, where every note almost starts with a fret-out. This is not to be confused with like Feildy's clicky thing. I can't stand that, but I love the Geddy-fart.
  11. noplayer

noplayer

Soooo.... it kinda sounds like early rockers had lots of growl and sounds like motown too. Was that cause of playing flats? Was Entwistle was kinda a hybred? I read he played round wound strings to get that kinda piano sound but still lots of that bottom " strong fundamental sound" ?

Mcdonalds always makes my stomach growl too.

sounded hot !! Got the Growl
  12. The 0x

The 0x

Rounds on a P-bass into a GK amp without the mids scooped. That's growl without additional overdrive.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Growl is the opposite of muff.
  14. illidian

illidian

Ox, you must be sick. You mentioned GK amps in a positive manner. I thought that only Yorkville and cranked tube amps were the solution to all of life's questions? :D

Growl is a low-mid thing. Not as strong as "bark," if that makes sense.
  15. keb

keb

The fade-in opening bass riff in Rush's Cygnus X-1. That's the Growl-O-Meter for me.

I think some people think of growl as lower-mid punch, but to me, growl is a gritty and aggressive tone across the frequency range, defnitely not quite a hi-fi squeaky clean tone.
  16. The 0x

The 0x

:eyebrow:

I like GK amps alot. I don't think they're the best deal in the world (Yorkville IMO has that title), but if I found a used one for a really low price, i'd get it and not complain. It's the Backline series of amps i can't stand.
  17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Growl is a Warwick Thumb.
  18. Daytona955i

Daytona955i Supporting Member

It's more of a mid boosted tone. It's like a boom with teeth. Like overdrive type of sound.

I think growl is best achieved with a pick for me.

YMMV
  19. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

When I think of growl, I think of sustained harmonics at mostly low-to mid frequency. Don't matter if you us a tube or Solid state amp.

When I think of bark, well that's more of a amp volume/tone thing. I.E., more volume and punch than a growl.

Some of it has to do with the player too.

Just my opinion, nonetheless.
  20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

The Lizzie Daymont track rocks... excellent example of growl!

Entwistle had it in spades. Listen to live tracks by The Who.