1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What is it about fast food restaurants?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PluckyThump, Dec 10, 2013.

1. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

People freaking out, assaults, mass shootings, at fast food restaurants. Why? I think I know now. Here's what happened to me today:

I decide to buy a Christmas present on my lunch hour and stop at a popular burger joint near the store where I am going. Naturally it's busy, the lineup is so deep it's difficult to get to the cashier. The way this particular restaurant works, there is one cash where they take your order, print the receipt with your food list on it and put it on a tray and slide the tray down the counter top and everybody lines up parallel to the counter.

Listless elderly couple in front of me and the man is leaving a space between him and the next person. Big enough that he could move up and clear space for people to get to the cashier. The line moves up some more and he just stands there. Meanwhile the guy behind me squeezes in to place his order and pays with debit card and his arm is brushing against my back as he punches in the code. I move closer to the blue-hair and she gets the hint and scoots up next to her hubby. Meanwhile some dude up ahead appears to be pointing out a Mistake in his order.

Finally the old man moves up. I'm watching my tray carefully. A bunch of folks get their food. Elderly couple gets their food; my tray is next. Mister Mistake is still standing there and he doesn't have any tray or receipt in front of him.

The server brings the food out, puts the fries on my tray and Mister Mistake walks up and starts telling her what to put on the burger. Overtaken by a serious case of "what the f...", I check the receipt on my tray and the tray behind it and determine that the server is giving my food which I paid for to someone else. As you might expect I question this and Mister Mistake turns around and tells me to "sit down and STFU". I tell him that the servers have effed up so don't yell at me. He repeats to my face "sit down and STFU" in a rather condescending manner. At this point I want to do a Thornton on him (see NHL Boston vs. Pittsburgh for example). I am very close to raging but keep my cool. The servers are all looking at each other clueless as to how someone could have placed an order and not have a tray and receipt in front of them. They apologize and ask the cook directly for my order. I am able to sit and eat in peace but I'm raging through the entire meal. I know where Mistake is sitting and keep checking to make sure I don't get up and leave at the same time as him because if he says anything I may lose control.

So I leave there without further incident but I rage off and on throughout the rest of the day, playing the scene over and over imagining myself smashing Mister Mistake's face in. I know it's wrong and bad but I can't help it.

Looking back, I think that guy snuck into the line and got himself a free meal. Why else would he treat me the way he did? The way the staff handled it was all wrong. They should have got out a tray for the guy and put the food on that, not on mine.

I'm actually a bit disturbed at the images playing in my head over this. I kinda feel like Michael Douglas in the movie Falling Down. I'm going to the gym tonight to channel my negative energy into the weights.
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Years ago I was in a fast food line and the guy ahead was making a royal ass of himself for no other reason than he could. He had the little girl behind the counter flustered and he took advantage of that to browbeat he crap out of her. After he had her in tears I mentioned he might want to give it a break. He turned and started in on me in the same way he'd been going after the little girl behind the counter. My response was to feed him a big knuckle sandwich which dropped him like a bad habit. He came up crying and holding a rag to his bloody face yelling for the manager to call the cops.

The manager told him he could leave or be thrown out, and then offered to pay for my meal.
  3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Sorry that happened man. He's just one ahole in sea of aholes. Don't let yourself get pulled down by them. There's so many of them that if you let them bother you, that's exactly what they'll do. Like the saying goes, "Resentment is like drinking poison and hoping the other person dies". Don't drink the poison. Always make a point of writing off and forgetting about the aholes of the world and go on and enjoy your life.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman

Fast food is a very, very bad idea.

This could be some sort of Divine Intervention that you are not meant to eat it.

Let it go. The guy is a jerk, and the best thing about your life is, you're not him.
  5. AuBassMan

AuBassMan

It's not just fast food joints...I went to a concert and while standing in the merch line with my wife and daughter this jerk starts giving a couple of young teen girls a hard time. They were standing between us and the jerk and apparently he thought they were too close to him, so he starts yelling and cursing at them...so I asked him the old "why don't you pick on somebody your own size" (I'm 6'3" and 240 lbs)...he ran his mouth a little more and after he made his purchase and was passing by me he got up in my face being a smart a$$...earned him an elbow to the mid section. Shut him up real quick.
  6. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I hate it when this happens to me. I keep telling myself "let it go it's nothing but a bad memory now." Sometimes to no avail. I guess the trick is to find a way to let go or work off the anger. Some days nothing bothers me, other days things like this can haunt me all day.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

My wife and I were at Pierre's, which is supposed to be this big deal concert club here in Fort Wayne, a few years back. I guy walked up to us, and started talking in a very random fashion. After awhile, he left us alone. My wife asked me what his deal might have been. I explained to her that from the back, we were a couple of hot chicks, and he had come up to chat us up, and when he saw we were actually a couple, he tried to play it off, but did a very bad job of it.
    I hated the opening act, and the headliner was to be Vince Neal of Motley Crue, and there are few acts I could hate more than that. My wife had seen some friends she knew there, and we drove separately, so I asked if she'd mind if I took off.
    After I left, that guy came back, and started aggressively hitting on her, and started being a bit of a jerk about it. Her friends never came over and stood with her, so I had, more or less, abandoned her! She really wanted the guy to leave her alone, because he was ruining her fun, and she sidled up really close to him, and in a manner that no one could see, she sucker punched him really hard, right in the kidneys.
    She said, "you're going to be a good boy, right?"
    His answer was, "yes, ma'am."
  8. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

Interesting way to look at it, thanks. I definitely should eat less fast food.
  9. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

I'd like to try something like this, but I'm more concerned about not winding up in jail on assault charges than I am about about proving to some chump at Mc Donalds what a total ass he's being. But still, yeah sometimes it's tempting.
  10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I was once in line at a local fast food joint that stays open as late as 4am. The line was literally out the door, and it took my friend and I about 20 minutes to get to the point where we were about to order.

Anyways, I was standing in line, about to place my order, when I noticed a guy walk in the door and slowly creep his way up the line until he got right behind me. He tried to make a move to pass me but I put my arm out and told him to go to the back of the line and that I saw him skip everyone. Keep in mind, it was about 2am or so and almost everyone there was somewhat intoxicated.

He started making a commotion and said he was going to kick my ***. Apparently other guys who had just finished eating noticed him and what he was doing, so they came over, grabbed him, and literally carried him to the door and then threw him out. It was pretty bizarre to see, but it was really nice to see others stand up to this guy on behalf of everyone else.
  11. OldDog52

OldDog52

When I eat at a fast food restaurant, I go in with the expectation that things go wrong. From your description, I'm guessing you were in a Wendy's. I don't know what it is with Wendy's but their walk-in order processing system just does not work well when they get slammed. I tend to be very forgiving toward the employees because they're working with the system that Wendy's has given them and it's just not very good when they get busy. On the other hand their drive-thru seems to be very efficient in comparison.

Anyways Wendy's food is better than most other fast food places. I stick to their salads and chicken sandwiches, not burgers. I get a baked potato instead of fries.

Yesterday I dropped off a package at the post office. There was a long line and only one window open. Waiting customers had lots of packages lined up on the counter next to the waiting line. Some woman walked in, calmly picked up a random package on the counter, and started walking out. The woman who owned the package started screaming at the thief, called her crazy, threatened to call the cops. Finally thief woman gave the package back. I thought they were going to get in a real hair-pulling on the floor wrestling girl fight right there in the lobby of the post office.
  12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Here's another one.

I was a Taco Bell once back in high school, and, for whatever dumb reason, my friends and I decided to make the biggest straw in the world by attaching draws together at their ends. We probably had about 13 or 14 straws together when two kids from a neighboring high school made a pretty rude remark towards us when they walked past our table to sit down at theirs. We said something jokingly back towards them and then went about our way until we had almost 25 straws attached.

Anyways, we were leaving the building at about the same time the other kids were, and once again they made a rude comment towards us so my buddy said something back and I flipped them off. Well we didn't notice it until it was too late, but those kids ended up following us to our car, and one of them sucker punched one of my friends in the face, another one punched me in the neck, and another one shoved my other friend. We all just looked at them like, "what the hell was that for" and they looked at us like they were trying to start a fight.

Now what they didn't know was that our table in the Taco Bell was only one segment of a larger group of kids who all were there and who all went to school together. Our other friends saw the commotion from inside the store, and two of them ran outside to their car, grabbed some of the golf clubs they had in it, and then came up behind our attackers and told them to get the **** out of there before they got beat into a pulp.

Needless to say, they ran pretty quick when they realized they were outnumbered and outgunned.
  13. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Fast food is cheap. Hence everyone can afford it. Like the effed up drug addicts or people with mental problems who can't hold a job because they're potentially psycho or at least socially maladjusted or just your average dumbass white trash with a quicktrigger. And late at night, there's drunks too to consider. And that's without counting the staff which is disgruntled (with reason) and rude a lot of the time. All this equals perfect recipe for disaster
  14. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

I've got a fast food tale from days of yore. **READ AT YOUR OWN RISK**

In the beach areas of San Diego there are many taco shops. I had 3 within 2 blocks of this place i lived years ago. There was the "OK" taco shop, the "BETTER THAN NOTHING" taco shop, and "THAT" taco shop :help:. Usually i hit these places around 2:00 am when the bars let out and everything else was closed. Nothing like a Carne Asada burrito before bed...:scowl:

Anyway, i went to "THAT" taco shop one day when i was super broke. It was around 4 in the afternoon, the place looked a heckuva lot nicer when you're blasted at 2:00 am. I went for 5 Rolled Tacos (taquitos to you easterners) to be safe.

The guy takes my order, gives me change and starts cooking. He starts to sweat... like bad... :eek: He stepped back from the fryer and went to his right and opened the back door. He proceeded to launch projectile vomit like i've never seen before. The door was to the bathroom and he didn't make it to the toilet. Just opened the door and let go. Uhh... what?

So he cleans up, brings me my food and says "Enjoy, have a nice day". I left the food and walked away.
  15. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

it's probably the environment, if you're stuck standing in line for something that is supposed to be fast and efficient, people can get antsy, couple that with the fact that people aren't always nice to each other, and you get stuff happening.
  16. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

Ah yes, the "others" and "poors" sullying our fine dining.
  17. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

It's the cholesterol. It's even in the air in there everybody is stroking out and don't even know it. Petit mal. But don't worry: "x can be a part of an healthy diet".o_O
  18. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I thought this was about the ethnic minorities clashing sabers, but fortunately not ;).

It's IME not just fast food joints, everywhere where You're forced to wait in line, something will happen.

Around food it just escalates, as the low blood sugar and electrolyte levels will drive even a normal person off the tangent in a split second.
    Couple that with some alcohol and very interesting things start to happen...
    Or put those hungry and dehydrated people behind the wheel and into a trafic jam...

As a someone who was never professionally diagnosed, nor treated, but yet was fully aware what was bound to happen if I didn't do anything about it, I'd guess that You have a serious anger management problem buildig up.

In mild cases like this one You can probably keep it from exploding, but what if the situation is worse?
    More aggravating?

Is it worth going to prison for?

IME the best way is to avoid those kind of situations at all costs, and to recognise them as early as possible as well.

A well placed joke or a comment can defuse the proverbial bomb before it is even lit, but a care has to be taken not to make things worse.

Good luck.

Regards
    Sam
  19. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I worked fast food may 2007 to june 2008 when I was in highschool at a Del Taco. You just dont want to know what happens behind the counter or the types of employees that work there. I havent been able to eat fast food since.
  20. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I'm both socially malajusted and poor (officially, quite below what is defined as poor by the canadian government). I'm just calling it as it is. You can choose to disagree but as far as im concerned what i said is pretty much fact.