1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is it about my Mustang?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

It's probably just bad technique on my part, but some days my basses just don't play/feel/sound right, and I feel like selling everything...........at least until I pick up my Mustang. It's like my Mustang is the only bass where I never have a bad day of playing. Today I was playing my black Fernandes and plucking the E string too hard and getting that horrible fret clank. Same with my Squier P. Then my green Fernandes just didn't sound right, and I kept fiddling with the knobs. Then I picked up the Mustang, even though it has the lowest action of any of my basses, every note was clear and well defined. It gave me that punch and mid-range growl I was looking for. But for some reason I keep trying to find a better bass, although it probably doesn't exist. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

2. MakoMan

MakoMan

It's all confidence agent!
    I have a set of golf irons like that. They are over 40 years old, thin as butter knives and infinitely less forgiving that any of my newer sets. But when I play them I have total confidence and shoot better than with any other set.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I regret selling my mij 'stang the most out of all the basses I've sold. Between the impeccable Japanese craftmanship, short scale and 7 and some odd inches radius, it almost played itself.