What is it about the shape of the p pick up that gives it the distinctive sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoeBbass, Dec 31, 2013.

1. JoeBbass

JoeBbass

What is it about the shape of the p pick up that gives it the distinctive sound?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

2 Short, squat coils wired in series. The fact that they are offset in space definitely affects the tone as well.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it's the place it's positioned combined with the E and A coil being closer to the neck than the D and G coil that gives it that sound. That said, I've heard a Jazz get awfully close to that sound with just the neck pickup.

4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I'm probably in a distinct minority, but I don't think there's any functional difference between a split-coil P pickup and a split-coil J pickup. And I don't think 1/4" difference in placement makes a discernable difference either.

Of course they are variables, but IMO they are insignificant variables when compared to differences among the many variety of P pickups available, and among the many J pickups available.

The original split P shape wasn't about tone, it was about eliminating hum and accommodating the raised A & D strings. If Leo had the wherewithal to put the two coils in line originally, there never would have been a P pickup in the sense we know it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dkelley

dkelley

if I'm remembering right, the true american style p pickup is similar to two p90 guitar pickups in series (but of course are 4 string mandolin pickups). great tone from p90 pickups.

7. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

its a humbucker but each string only passes over one coil. So its a humbucker that sounds like a single coil.

8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Kinda like this?

[​IMG]

9. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    This is truth.... wired in parallel (like in line Jazz 2 coil) and it sound very different.

10. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

One important part is that the D and A string will get a humbucker effect, because the magnetic field to "the other" coil doesn't abruptly stop just because it's not intended to stray into the other string. There are cancellations of overtones that you can more clearly hear in real side-by-side humbuckers but in the new-fondled split P pickup design you still have a good chunk of it. This gives you a bit of a "roar" or growl like bass players call it.