1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is tapping?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cousinofmurloc, Apr 2, 2014.

1. cousinofmurloc

cousinofmurloc

I've just been wondering because it's in a lot of songs I want to learn. I know how to slap and pop fairly well but I'm just confused as to how I tap. Can someone explain?

2. DannyBob

DannyBob

Whilst fretting with the left hand, press down with the right hand onto a fret and let it ring. This is one handed tapping at least...

3. Landy67

Landy67 Gold Supporting Member

Media:
  4. JimK

JimK

Stanley Jordan takes it over the top-
    It's @NAMM, so FWIW.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jEqzkiIgOI

The clueless walking around in the NAMM video reminded of the only time I ever saw Jordan live, mid-'90s-
    In Va Beach...ouitside, hot/sunny...on the boardwalk (the clueless struting around as in the above link).
    The 1st 2-3 tunes, you're just blown away...then you just kick back & enjoy.
    He did the best Hendrix & Shankar covers I have ever heard.
    "Stairway To Heaven" was also cool.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr ...whatever... Supporting Member

Sometimes I wonder if musicianship of this magnitude is even worth it. I mean, I am blown away by this man's talent, but ask ten people who he is and it's almost a sure thing that none of them will have ever heard of him. I've seen unbelievable musicians, virtuous talent, completely ignored at airport cafes, or playing dive bars for tips, or worse, relegated to wanking on selfie YouTube videos. I'm not saying that you shouldn't strive to be the best you can possibly be, but when most of the people you'll ever play for couldn't care less, it makes you wonder if it's worth the effort.

7. JimK

JimK

IIRC, Stanley Jordan was a street musician in NYC...somebody saw him & got him a record deal. I'm not sure about his debut...but Magic Touch (his 2nd album) was on Blue Note Records. It did not truly capture his live vibe, IMO.
    Not that I know anything about anything...I just assume Jordan (& those of his ilk) could care less about his "popularity".
    Anthony Jackson (I know, another who the masses are oblivious to) calls Jordan "a genius"...and Jackson does not toss that word around lightly.

BTW, Jordan did pop up in an '80s movie.
    IIRC, Bruce Willis is a fan; it was a Willis movie with Kim Basinger...Blind Date?

8. lz4005

lz4005

I think it was Chicago, not NYC.

9. JimK

JimK

He was born in Chicago...I thought it was NYC where he was "discovered".
    Various links I'm reading now point to NYC (post-Princeton).
    I had also forgotten about his computer education. He's deep.

Here's a snippet-

"Enrollment at Princeton University in 1977 yielded some startling news for the young guitarist. Faculty member Milton Babbitt had devised a similar system in the late 1950s. The two began working together, and Babbitt eventually became Jordan’s adviser. Besides music theory, Jordan studied computers and their role in music composition, a field in which he continued to break ground even after graduating.

Armed with his degree in music, Jordan set out to conquer the Big Apple. In 1983 he released a self-produced LP entitled Touch Sensitive. While it contained all the trademarks of his remarkable style, the all-solo effort did little for advancing his career. He literally resorted to playing in the streets, dues-paying which eventually caught the attention of some of the Jazz world’s heavyweights. He wound up auditioning for impressario George Wein, which led to an unannounced performance at the 1984 Kool Jazz Festival. That gig was impressive enough to earn Jordan the right to open for Trumpeter Wynton Marsalis at Avery Fisher Hall. Stanley had indeed arrived".

10. JimK

JimK

Oct. '85 Guitar Player magazine-

Jordan-
    "Since 1980, I had gone to New York several times to try making some contacts in the music business & getting some exposure. In May of '84, I moved there - that's when I played on the streets. Mainly I used to set up at the corner of 7th Avenue & 48th Street, where all the music stores are. Occasionally, I'd get hassled...being heard on the streets by helpful people is how I got to play the Kool Jazz Festival in '84, so it was certainly worth it".

11. lz4005

lz4005

Makes sense. I knew there was some Chicago connection with him.

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Real Tappers use this instrument:

[​IMG]

The rest are wannabes.

13. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    IMHO money, fame, or make people care more to what we play are not always have to be the purpose of performing/playing music. Most of the time, self satisfaction of creating 'art'/creativities that kinda 'feed our soul' is much more important.Whether other people can relate to it, or better, appreciate it, is other 'story'.
    And I think the world needs this, creativities, talent, musicianship. It's positive force for our culture, life and history. It's worth it. It's valuable.

14. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Stanlery Jordan was the guy who took tapping out of the real of the exotic and brought it to mainstream music..

What a load of ........

15. hellofromming

hellofromming

Stanley was invited to play a blues solo in Bluenote concert.
    I believe tapping like the way he is now is the way he thinks to express himself the best, rather than trying to attract the others. And he did create his unique style and vibes on that

16. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Sav'n-whatever, you need to do you homework before you blow your dribbling, impotent load.

Alphonso Johnson and Tony Levin, two high-profile bassists, were playing the Stick in the mid-70's.

17. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Yes but a lot of people were still not hip to it.. Jordan brought it out to a wider audience .. and regardless ... just because ..

doesn't mean that those who came after them or didn't play the Chapman stick at all are "wannabes" that is a load .....

18. JimK

JimK

I'll re-read the Jordan piece in Guitar Player…I think they mentioned tappers going back to the '30s. Jordan was a pianist before he became a guitarist; he applied his keyboard mentality to the guitar.

EDIT: The above mentioned piece on Jordan cites Mario Maccaferri from the '20s...Jimmy Webster from the '40s/'50s as early tappers.

19. Dougie1316

Dougie1316

Just a question, does anybody use tapping in their ensembles or bands? I've just started doing basic shapes such as minor and major triads with the octave and I was wondering if anyone found much use of it in the 'real' world?

20. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Tapping was going on long before Jordan, Chapman and VanHalen. For me it began with Jimmy Webster, but it was happening even before him by his teacher Harry DeArmond and perhaps before DeArmond developed it.

Bass Tappers (apart from those already mentioned)
    Billy Sheehan does some tapping stuff, and I've seen/heard some guys with ERBs do some wicked tapping. Whatever flips your switch.

Stuart Hamm has some vids and a Hal Leonard book out there and a Hot Licks DVD.

Probably a few other big name bass players out there that tap that haven't been mentioned yet, ex. Nick Beggs plays Chapman stick, but I'm not sure how much he taps on a regular bass

There's plenty of How To Youtube videos.

Good luck with it, have fun woodshedding.

PS: I see JimK mentioned Maccaferri, so it did start earlier than my Webster reference point. Cool!