1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is the advance of tuning a 6 string bass like a guitar?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

May 19, 2012
    My apology if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering why some bass players with 6 string basses tune their bass E A D G B E, just like a regular 6 string guitar.

Does this help them to write bass lines easier?

2. Lost the guitar player once tuned like this to supplement.
    Played my Wife down the aisle.
    Did some solo stuff but I missed my F#-string so I switch back.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. IMO- None.

5. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    I've always hated the high B string on a guitar... makes you have to learn multiple formations to chords. Seems like it would slow you down unless you are really a guitarist.

6. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    As a 6 string player I have many different instruments tuned to various tunings using various string sets.

I believe an E-a-d-g-b-e and B-e-a-d-g-c bass are almost two completely different instruments-and I play them differently.

I would say that there is an advantage or disadvantage to favoring one or the other.

7. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    I tune all of my 7 string basses BEADGBE

If you notice, there are only five strings to learn, as they repeat. Arpeggios and Scales line up better in a single position, and chord work on the higher strings becomes easy, as there is a huge reference of useable chord shapes available for free on the internet.

I wouldn't change to B E A D G C F# because i have learned this system, which makes it so i can pick up a guitar and show someone exactly what i want in a voicing or a run.

I think we need to be flexible on tunings, but i also play Uke and Lute.