What is the best replacement for an Ampeg SVT CL and 8X10" Cab set up?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by elkkid2, Jan 21, 2013.

1. elkkid2

elkkid2 Supporting Member

What is the "Best" now adays? I mean, I gig a lot...and something lighter..that goes lower...might be nice. There's lightweight Speakers and amps now that are actually better for giging, right? I plug into P.A.'s always now....I have a brand new SVT Classic and 8 Ten Cabinet...It seems like I could sell it and get something killer...or Trade...But I'm not sure what to try out.
    I don't have much Money, What is the most amazing Bass set up out there? Thanks!
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

What you have is still considered by many to be the best.

If you want similar tone but smaller, I'd recommend two Ampeg 210av sealed cabs, and a sansamp VT pedal into a lightweight class D power amp. I switch back and forth between them and find them quite similar in tone..... not exact, but damn close.....
  3. TC.65

TC.65

Yeah you're not gonna get any better if you like the Ampeg tone. If smaller/lighter is what youre looking for there's always the SVT7PRO. It sounds really close to an SVT Classic. Another choice would be a Genz Benz Streamliner. With some tube rolling and some EQ adjustments it can get really close. JMHO.
  4. elkkid2

Yes, they are the amazing sound...I've had several. But I hear about Schroder,(SP?), and Epi's Agular, Mark Bass...and they seem so...portable!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elkkid2

Thanks for your input..I'll see if I can try out those Ideas.
  7. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I'd suggest the Aguilar ToneHammer 500 and the Berg HS410 or the berg NV610
  8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I'd keep the Ampeg or perhaps look into some of the Fearful designs for the cab.
  9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1 I really dig my tube amp and my 1515/66. A fEARless 215 would be about half the weight of an ampeg 810e and be louder to boot.
  10. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i'd hire a roadie before i got rid of the classic and 810!
  11. presforlife

presforlife

I'm gonna tell you from more than forty years of playing all kinds of situations the tone is in your hands, it really is that simple. Learn to get the sound out of your bass without an amp and you can make any thing sound great.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

That's what I keep hearing. My honeymoon with the fridge is not over yet though. lol
  13. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

7 pro and 2x 15/6/1 (tweeter optional)
  14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

15. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

I agree about the 210avs and a sansamp. I have an svt cl/810 as well as a 210av (x4) set up that I use with a Peavey Mark IV. I have a sansamp on the way. Even without it, the 210's do color the tone a lot. The sealed ampeg sound really is a large part of that tone. I use the Peavey because it does 2 ohms and has a wonderful graphic EQ. The sansamp will be the icing on the cake.

I love the svt setup, but dont want to use it in certain situations. I cant afford to repair it at the moment so I will keep it for light practice use for the time being. If I end up loving the sansamp immensely, I may sell off the svt rig. If money allows, I will keep it though. It feels so awesome to own. Such a blessing. That said, there are things that I do enjoy out of solid state that I would miss if the ampeg were my only amp. The other route, with the sansamp, may prove to be more versatile. It certainly is easier to transport and is more modular.

Sound wise, the Peavey can be a bit boomy, so the small size of the 210s tightens up my tone perfectly. They really go so well together. This is with using 4 of the cabs. Using two 210s is a great setup as well, and would be what I use in smaller situations. But I like standing in front of a tall amp when practicing. Half of the reason I play bass is to feel the pressure on my chest when practicing; its something that guitar just doesnt do. I love to record with guitar and play acoustic, but bass is an experience.

end rant
  16. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I suspect that my first SVT being a CL was the very reason I'm not particularily a fan for SVT's.
    Didn't have the fridge though, but not a shabby cab by any means either.

Get a vintage SVT and a roadie as mattbass6945 there suggested.

Regards
    Sam
  17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I've loaded and unloaded my share of Ampeg 810's I find them much easier to deal with than my GK 410 NEOs. Its pretty easy to lean one of them back and roll it. A 410 on casters is a much more cumbersome object especially when you have to roll them over cords and what not on a stage.

Its also easier to lean an 810 on my tailgate and slide it into the back of my truck, than it is to dead lift a low center of gravity 410. The one and only reason I have 410s at all is because I have to carry them upstairs to my apartment, which is just slightly easier than dragging an 810 up stairs.

As far as sound goes. If you like that Ampeg SVT/810 sound, nothing will exactly replicate it. You can get close, but nothing will ever sound exactly like it.

If tone is all in the fingers, why do people invest so much time and effort into their rig, and why do people have pedal boards. On the newest RHCP album when Flea was on his Acoustic USA (thankfully short lived) kick, you could still tell it was Flea from his style, but his tone was completely different. So forgive me if I don't buy into the whole "Tone is in the fingers" myth.
  18. willsellout

willsellout

+1. I absolutely hate that saying.
  19. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Nuance is in the fingers.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Meh. I have done a ton of festivals and larger venues with provided back line. My band mates have always told me I sound exactly like me no matter what I play through. That;s the whole reason for my TB name ("two fingers") because that's where my tone DOES come from.

Back on topic. I would ask that you (OP) try a Mesa Walkabout 15" Scout combo with a matching extension cab. There's still a tiny bit of beef to the rig. In other words, it's not a "micro rig". But it's much smaller and lighter than an SVT and a fridge. I switched from an SVT6 and a fridge to this rig and I'm never looking back. Those Mesa cabs are tuned like you wouldn't believe (I'm sure the drivers have something to do with it as well). But they are what I call "full-range" 15s. They cover the high mids and sparkly highs just fine (if you're into that kind of thing). 54 lb top and a 45 lb bottom. And they are loud as crap! I've done a ton of club gigs with no PA support with them and they kill every time. Nice tube pre and it does the whole fat, warm, vintage, tubey thing very well.
  21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Tone IS in the fingers. The gear just sits there and waits for me to do something, and while tones may not be 100% identical, I try to get them as close as possible, and I've never had a gig not be a success just because I didn't have my favorite amp.

That said, there is no substitute for the SVT/810. There are only imitations of it ranging from good to eh. But if I don't have one and I get a lousy sound out of whatever's there, it ain't the amp's fault.