what is the best Single Coil Pickups you've ever had ? (18mm / Fender Size)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by im2jazzc4you, Nov 1, 2012.

1. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

Hi guys...I really need your advises here... I'm planning to build another bass, but this time I want to use Single Coil pickups, 34 scale and 18mm spacing, basicly I'm using Fender Scale. Can you give me some idea what is the best 5 string single coil pickups you've ever used ?

For now... My best Option is : Aguilar AG 5J-60, I really love the vintage tone but I also love Sadowsky pickups but too bad it has 19mm... Please give me another option guys, thanks all and so sorry for my bad grammar... :D

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Nordstrand Big Singles are badass. Big Splits even better!

3. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

Noted!... Thanks 'mmbongo' ;)

4. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

Well, it's not really Fender size, not a drop-in replacement, but my Daguet Dagstar is the best single coil I've ever used. Based on the old Hagstrom Bi-Sonic, but sizably smaller, not too much bigger than a jazz pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

Hmmm nice... But honestly I don't know much abaut Daguet Dagstar pickups, let me look on the web, maybe I can find something... Thanks D.M.N :)

7. ncapone

ncapone

I just replaced the Custom Shop pickups in my Jazz Bass with Fender Super 55s and they sound great. They're hot and also noiseless, which is good.

8. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

Yup this is a great pickups...but i need 5 string pickups, the 55s doesn't has the 5 string series... :bawl:
    Thanks anyway 'ncapone' ... :smug:

9. Bobster

Bobster

I am really happy with my Lollar single-coil Jazz 5 pickups.

They have a warm traditional tone and are pretty low-noise for single-coils.

I would strongly recommend them.

Bob

10. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

Yup I got that in my mind...but to be honest it's really hard to find in here but let me check it again, I hope I can find it... Thanks Bob :D

11. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass Supporting Member

AERO Type I. "warm" as they extend Hz down below many other manufacturers.

12. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

I like the AERO Type I also. My favorite though are the Lakland-Hanson single coils.

13. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

Thanks 'BuffaloBass' & 'Eublet' .... Noted! :smug:

14. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

FYI, if you go to the Audio section of Lakland's website, there are several J basses there with the Lakland pickups in them with sound clips.

15. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

I'll go check it out....thanks again 'Eublet' :D

16. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

+1 for Lollar

I swapped out my "noiseless" (meaning stacked humbucker) pickups in my Fender Custom Shop Jazz with Lollar single coils, and I was amazed at the improvement in tone. Night and day difference!

17. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

Niceeee..... Thanks 'SactoBass' :bassist:

18. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

EMG. No hum or buzz, great tone. If you run two get an active blend control so you don't have to deal with insertion loss. JX or JCSX series.

19. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

I had the JX on my jazz bass and i sell it, now i put Custom Shop 60s on it and it's Amazinggggg!! :hyper: thanks 'tylerwylie' ;)

20. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I have the Aguilars, I strongly recommend them. The Nordstrand NJ5F's are also very organic and ballsy. Seymour Duncan makes one that is also very suitable. These are alnico pickups with all the common characteristics of the material choice. EMG's will be more HiFi sounding. Barts will be warm, flatter, and wider sounding. Those will need EQ.

You ask for the "best" however you should specify for what style of music you play. I have found this is important. Good luck.

21. im2jazzc4you

im2jazzc4you

Wowww...great review, I'm session player so I need one who can suit on any style of music but honestly I love that vintage tone on the 60s Jazz Basses... And untill now the Aguilars is really blown me... I have Barts & EMGs on my other basses, but still I really love the 60s sound... So the Aguilar would be the best choice for me ?