1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What is the best sounding/realistic feeling electric upright bass?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by duderus, Jan 3, 2014.

1. duderus

duderus

I am in the market for one. I have had a king 1954 upright but now I am looking to make my rig smaller but still sound realistic. If anyone has any recommendation lease let me know.

Money does matter, but if the best is up there in price and you have experience and I may take a plunge.

Thank you!
    dp
  2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

You might get better responses if you post this in the DB forum
  3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

I like Ergo. So do a ton of other people. I sold mine but when/if/when I'm in the market for an eub I'll get another Ergo. My mind is already made up.
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Takamine b10 maybe?

Not an electric upright, but a more manageable size.
  5. Davo-London

Davo-London

Not sure I get EUBs. They don't sound any more convincing (as a URB) than a decent fretless ABG to my ears. So why not get a fretless ABG instead?

Davo
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

I've heard good things about the Alter Ego, Phil Smith likes his Yamaha Silent Bass, but I didn't think the one I played felt particularly like an upright. Bill Merchant will build you one that has the same mensure and overstand as your double bass. And there's always the Czech Ease...
  7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

My Merchant is excellent. Most realistic sound and feel that I've found. Tried the Czech-Ease and it didn't do much for me. It's basically 2/3 of a Strunal, which I'm not a fan of, for much more money.
  8. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    Can you bow them?...
  9. agfrag

agfrag Supporting Member

Check out Augustan Bernal and the Eminence he's playing. Give the tune a couple moments to warm up and listen closely to the instrument. I personally think that is a pretty cool sound, and I'll bet to most peoples ears, very upright-ish.
  10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Both very nice!
    Burgess could've picked a nicer shirt to wear no? Haha.
  11. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

I haven't played others, so I couldn't/wouldn't say one is better than another, but I am very happy with my Eminence, even more so since recently putting on a Lifeline pickup.

[​IMG]
  12. ronhammant

ronhammant Supporting Member

I have an NS Design CR4M for sale, the reason I'm selling is because I'm waiting on delivery of an NS Design EU5. EUB's are a different kettle of fish, they are unique and really not comparable to an acoustic upright. I love and play it for what it is and not as an alternative. Not sure where you live, but if you're interested in buying the NS Design CR-4M, I live in Brisbane Australia. http://www.gollihurmusic.com/produc...ESIGN_CR4M_AND_CR5M_4_5_STRING_FULL_SIZE.html
  13. neej78

neej78

The best one by far is Yamaha 'silent' bass. I have used mine for a few years gigging jazz small groups and big band, and the sound (through a Galien-Krüger amp) is as near amplified double bass as you could hope.
  14. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

Not an EUB but a substantially downscaled double bass (so it might fit your criteria), nothing comes closer than the Kolstein travel bass in terms of DB-like feel, volume and tone IMHO

15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Volante comes the closest I've heard to DB sound, and feels like a DB when playing. Breaks down for travel, too. There's a link on the site to M Arnopol playing it with Patricia Barber.
  16. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

The Eminence is the best one I've actually played.
    Also I love an old Ampeg Baby Bass if you can locate one. Not really a true upright sound, but what a sound it is.

The reason to own an electric upright vs a fretless bass guitar? For me the longer scale is much easier to play in tune.
  17. Hallic

Hallic

18. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

As far as "realistic feeling", well none of them...without a full body none of them feel like a real bass when you lean on them.

I've had an Ampeg, a Zeta and now an Azola (the best sounding of the three IMHO).
  19. tcl

tcl

I haven't played very many EUBs but I've listened to nearly all of them. I have an Eminence and an NS Omni. IMO, the Eminence sounds pretty close, not too much sustain, tone is similar though I think it lacks depth especially at the bottom. I play the Eminence and my URB without noticing the difference in feel, which is one of the best things I like about it. That and it fits in a golf bag which the airlines are happy to take as baggage.
    The Omni sounds like it's own instrument to me, not much like an URB unless played arco, and it takes some getting used to when I pick it up. Aside from the shorter scale, I think it's targeted at bass guitarists who want to explore the upright rather than upright players looking for a smaller instrument. It's tough to use a good right-hand technique on it because of where NS placed the electronic controls but doable. I'm the latter camp, an upright player wanting a smaller instrument, and I'm happy with the Omni because I can bring it onto a plane and put it in the overhead bin.