What is the best way to address this ..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I bought this bass a few months back and I didn't really notice this until I changed the strings.. I now get a horrible buzz and it is almost impossible to get the action the way I want to. What would be the best way to address this and how much do you think it would cost me to fix?
  2. kgp311

kgp311

Probaby should just take it to a trusted luthier and have that zero fret replaced.
  3. Sav'nBass

How much do you think that might cost?
  4. kgp311

kgp311

A complete fret job would run about $300. Considering that all you need is one fret replaced, it probably won't cost more that 50 bucks for the labor.
  5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Yup, you have some pretty good divots on the A&E strings. It's worth replacing the Zero fret.
  6. lz4005

lz4005

If you have buzz on open notes it's the zero fret. Buzz on fretted notes is something else.
  7. Sav'nBass

Thanks guys for all the advice ... I took it to Metro Guitar Service this afternoon. This guy does great work in the DMV .. based in Arlington Va.
  8. Sav'nBass

Got this back on Thursday.. The tech there wound up having to file down a fret in addition to replacing the zero fret.. but the bass is much better now..