Dismiss Notice

Welcome to TalkBass.com!

Register your free account to unlock features including:

  • Post messages or start new discussions
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Upload images and video to our gallery
  • Enter free giveaways
  • Get rid of this notice, and much more :)

What is the correct name for ...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JACink, Oct 12, 2013.

  1. JACink


    Mar 9, 2011
    Bridges that allow you to insert/remove strings without passing them through holes?

    Sorry, I would search, but I thought they were called "top loading" but my search results aren´t giving me what I seek :help:

    I am looking to replace the bridge on a P-Bass with one that will allow me to remove the strings from the bridge by only detuning the slightly at the tuners.


    So I can remove the neck without having to remove the strings every time.
  2. Phalex

    Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

    Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I believe top loading is the term.
  3. Turnaround


    May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I think "quick release" is the name you are looking for.
  4. walterw

    walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

    Feb 20, 2009
    yeah, regular fender bridges are "top-loading", that just means the strings don't go through the body.

    "quick release" or "quick change" sounds right to me.
  5. Sponsored by:

  6. Jay2U

    Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

    Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    :bag: Errr, bridge? :bag:
  7. 202dy

    202dy Supporting Member

    Sep 26, 2006
    This is the correct answer, with the explanation of the difference between the terms top loading and quick release.
  8. JTE

    JTE Supporting Member

    Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    There isn't an Official Lexicon Of Electric Bass Terminology, so "top-load" is frequently used to describe both the quick-release type and the ones that are simply not string-through. "Quick Release" seems to preferable to me because it really does describe the key feature without risk of being confused with the other terminology.


Play guitar too? Become a founding member of TalkGuitar.com