What is the dumbest thing you have done with your Bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sandman357, Mar 9, 2014.

1. sandman357

sandman357

With the thought "It could be the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others." in mind, what is the dumbest thing you ever did with your bass?

What made me think of this is I was at an open mic night recently and some 20 somethings were there. While they were setting up they laid their instruments on the floor of the stage. I did that when I was a teen and someone stepped on the neck of my bass. I told them my story and they leaned them against their amps. Better.... I guess...

So on the off chance some up and coming bassists read this, what are some things you did with your bass in your youth that you would never do now?

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Tennesseemick likes this.
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Dumbest thing I ever did was in 1984 when my band broke up after 4 years of gigging 5 nights per week. I was in the process of moving and left a 1978 Jazz Bass with sienna sunburst finish, maple neck, block inlays and my 1972 SVT head and cab at my drummer's house. I went to get it about a week later and found out that he had traded my stuff for an Alembic because he had decided to learn bass. He ended up paying me but I haven't seen another bass like that once since then.

3. lundborg

lundborg

Ran over my 1966 precison with my BMW. The bass was in a gig bag only, still no damage at all. Probably because of the C-width neck....

4. DannyBob

DannyBob

Wow! Was the BMW alright? I hear they can take quite a beating if they run over solidly-build P basses...

Jim Nazium likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    ...around age 17.....painted my Sears silvertone bass with some epoxy paint I found in my parents basement. I knew nothing about paint drier additives, etc. The bass was too tacky to play for a few weeks, never did cure completely. Traded it to some dude for Beatle bass knock-off and was so happy to be rid of old sticky.:bassist:

7. rfslick

rfslick

In 1983 I sold my '64 Jazz bass to a high school kid for about $275. Now all I can afford is an SX Ursa II...
    [​IMG]
    This would be in '78 at a back yard party.

8. lundborg

lundborg

It survived that time, but was sadly scrapped several years ago. The bass is still great!

9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I stopped playing it for about 18 years. Then the kid went to college and I picked it up again. It would have been even dumber if I sold it when we needed money. Fortunately, it was out of sight and out of mind at the time.

10. Milk

Milk

Wow. Talk about an *******. "Geez this ****'s been here for a week, i guess that means he's not gonna come and get it back"

**** paying you, you should have demanded he trade it back, or tell you who he traded it to anyway so you could buy it back with the money he gave you.

I don't know, people who don't respect other people's stuff make me unbelieveably mad.

PullThePlug and madjazzbass like this.
  11. Mechanical

Mechanical

This. I ended up selling mine. :crying:

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

What is the dumbest thing you have done with your Bass?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let someone else borrow it ...

Then it came back damaged ...

josiah goldfish likes this.
  13. Kustom_Thunder

Kustom_Thunder Supporting Member

I defreted my p bass with a pair of needle nose plyers ans a flat head screw driver and trashed the neck compleatly I loved that bass and I ruined it. I keep the neck on the wall I'm my living room to remind me of my failure

Slapstyle likes this.
  14. djkool

djkool Supporting Member

2 things:
    I replaced the pickups on a sweet Mosrite bass with an ill-fitting humbucker and filled the gaps in with unfinished plastic wood. Fugly.

I chromed the tuning machines on my 1960 Fender Precision because I thought that was how you refurbished an old bass. Ruined the tolerances and the spur gears tore up the worm gears down to the brass. I still have them as a reminder to my stupidity.

15. exidor

exidor

smashed my bass in a fit of rage!!! & not keeping the electronics to use in something else. dumb dumb & dumb

maxl likes this.
  16. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

I left my '85 G & L L-2000 in my girlfriends car after a particularly late gig. It was summer in Louisiana and the heat warped the neck slightly and melted the inside of the case to the finish. It took a bit of buffing to clean up the finish and I'm not sure the neck was ever truly straight after that.

17. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Dumbest thing done to my bass? ...... Stopped playing it to respond to posts on TalkBass. :ninja:

18. msaone

msaone

19. djole94hns

djole94hns

I took it to myself to disassemble a bass just to see what's in it... Ended up messing up my action.

20. chuckNC

chuckNC

I played bass in my HS concert band. The school had a bass and a Traynor YBA-1 that I used every day during band practice. But I had told a bunch of kids in the band that I intended to play my own bass at the spring concert. That bass was my pride and joy--a Sekova copy of a Fender Telecaster Bass. ($170 brand new with chipboard case.)

On the night of the concert I indeed brought my bass and set it up on a shelf in the instrument closet. Several times I had gone in there and showed it to kids who asked if they could see it. Finally I got a chance to tune up (our band had a Conn StroboTuner and everybody had to tune up individually with it). I raced into the closet, grabbed the handle and pulled it off the shelf...and the bass just rolled out of the case as easy as you please and crashed on the floor. I hadn't closed the latches after showing my bass the last time for some reason. :rollno:

To this day the only damage that bass has received are the bite marks from that fall. Doesn't seem like a very big deal after 39 years. The gouges tell a story of my youth every time I see them.

21. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member