What is the first record made with a Fender?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Petethebassman, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Hi all, I wanted to continue a discussion on what is the first Fender bass recording.. this was discussed in an earlier thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f140/first-electric-bass-jazz-704440/

I find this quite interesting from a historical point of view and am curious if any of you have information to share on the subject. In that thread I posted about the September 28th, 1953 recordings Monk Montgomery made with Lionel Hampton. But last week I bought a compilation LP by The Treniers, containing recordings made in 1947-1958. The song "Bug Dance" - recorded in NYC on Sept. 9th, 1953 - sounds like it was made with a Fender: the bass is plucked hard, very high in the mix and the tone is much clearer than the typical upright tone of the period. The tone is also slightly distorted, maybe amp distortion? I couldn't find it on youtube, but the song is in Spotify.

https://play.spotify.com/album/7FuzIFbLq2YlY8hZFGePDg

The session credits say it's Charles Drayton or Jimmy Johnson on bass, but the songwriting credits include Shifty Henry, who was also an early Fender bass player:

[​IMG]

Here's a Treniers picture with probably Jimmy Johnson on bass - the picture is likely taken in 1954 or later as the bass shown has a white pickguard.

[​IMG]

In Detlef Schmidt's book "Fender Precision Basses: 1951-1954" it is said that the first production models were ready for shipping no earlier than the end of October 1951 or early November 1951, so it's fairly safe to say there probably are no Fender bass recordings from 1951. But, do any of you know of any made in 1952? So far, the earliest I've found is the Treniers song mentioned above.

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Not sure when first recording was but I would love to own this bass.