What is the heaviest 4 string you've ever owned?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stevewd, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Stevewd

Stevewd Supporting Member

I'm asking because I have a 1980 Stingray that weighs 11lbs 2.5oz on a digital postal scale. Anyone beat that?
  2. I-play-bass

I-play-bass

My gibson RD is just shy of 12lbs
  3. Stevewd

Sheesh! Gig with that much? What year is it?
  4. MakoMan

MakoMan

I had an Attila Balogh handmade solid maple bass from the late 70s that weighed every ounce of 13 lbs.
    Honest to God, I loved the way the bass played, the tone the feel, the fact that it was solid as a Douglas Fir. But I could feel my back going out just picking it up off the stand. That sounds like a joke, but it isn`t... I could actually feel my back being stressed out EVERY time I picked it up off the stand...
    I ended up selling it to Johnny Reid`s bassist... a strong, healthy young man with a thing for big, heavy thumping handmade Canadian basses. He already owned a Lado bass that was apparently also a beast. We met at a gas station, he picked up the Balogh, played a few riffs on it and said `I love it. It feels almost as heavy as my Lado.`
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

The Kramer 350B I used to own.
  7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I have owned 1978 Fender Jazz and 1979 Peavey T-40 basses that were both over 12lbs.
  8. Stevewd

Glad to hear mine's not the heaviest. I can't imagine playing standing up with anything heavier. My G&L L1000 is 10lbs 11.5oz. Next heaviest is my Ric. 9lbs 4.5oz. The Ric I gig with. Sometimes the L1000. Never the Ray.
  9. groooooove

groooooove

a friend of mine has an SX that's insanely heavy. much heavier than my heaviest. and mine are very heavy.

it's also a real ****** example of an SX, but i feel bad telling him (a professional guitarist that bought it just to have on hand)
  10. Stevewd

Yeah. There's something to the tone of a heavy bass. I can feel the Ray vibrate when I play it.
  11. capcom

capcom

Another +12 lbs monster here. My '78 Jazz Bass.

Will change it's body with an identical recently made jazz bass shaped alder body soon.

[​IMG]
  12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Without a doubt, my Gibson RD Artist. Bought it brand new in 1978 - the year it was introduced - and played it for the better part of a year. But at the end of the day, I just couldn't get used to the weight - and I'm a big, strong guy: 6'2", over 200 pounds, and with a solid physical build. Plus, I was only 22 years old at the time.

At the end of the day, it didn't matter. Wearing the RD was like wearing a small, solid mahogany log. My neck and shoulders would become tense and sore after playing only a couple of hours.

That's no way to run a puppy farm. I flipped it - and haven't looked back since. :meh:

I will say it was a beast of a hard rock bass guitar. And with a decent set of pickups - which it did have, and a decent preamp - which it did not have, it would have been a monster of an instrument. Just not for me, as it turned out... :meh:

MM
  13. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

Probably my old RD (sold long ago), but my Stingray and my Hamer 12-string are right up there.
  14. guymanndude1

guymanndude1 Supporting Member

I had a 1980 Alembic Series One, that had the separate power supply, 20' 9 pin DIN cable to connect the bass to then 1/4 inch patch cable to the amp. The body seemed like it was mile wide, and a foot thick. I have never got a chance to weigh it, but it seemed like it was close to 15 lbs. Because the body was so wide, it was hell to carry up stairs, it literally hit every step. So, you had to pull your arm up like a bicep curl, with your thumb forward to carry. Very beautiful, sounded great, hurt my neck, back, shoulder, wrists. I hated to get rid of it, but I believe that I wouldn't be still playing today, least without some kind of surgery.
  15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

About 12 years ago I played a Peavey T-40 ... it felt like 15 pounds ...
  16. Buster Brown

Buster Brown

Yeah, I don't recall the weight on this baby, but it always felt "substantial"......

Ovation Magnum III
  17. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

Yamaha BB400 I never weighed it but it felt about twice as heavy as my P-Bass

Attached Files:

18. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

I have a 1974/75 Fender Jazz (Maple with Maple neck). I use it as the backup Bass (in case a string breaks) for my Rick 4003. After I turned 50, it actually started to hurt my shoulder after about an hour of playing. Even though I've been working out consistently since I was 22.
  19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

And the reason for that - in case anyone's interested - is that heavy wood tends also to be dense wood (since the molecules are packed quite closely together), which typically conducts physical vibration much more efficiently & effectively than does lighter-weight wood.

More efficient & effective conducting of physical vibration means a stronger sense of authority to the tone, i.e. more low end, more power, more sustain, etc.

MM
  20. bootsox

bootsox

My Peavey T40 sits in at a whopping 14 pounds. I'm thinking about chambering the body and putting on a lighter bridge
  21. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I had a mid 80s Ibanez neck through that cause my neck all sorts of grief. It was a boat anchor