What is the major difference between the Aguilar DB & GS Series

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gwangi, Oct 3, 2013.

1. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Okay this was bugging me to death seriously, I think Aguilar stuff is pretty AWESOME but my question is or actually 2 questions is and I already tried to get a hold of Aguilar to ask but I don't get return emails or phone calls from them so I'm guessing I'm touching on a sensitive spot, what my questions are I've looked at factory tour info on YouTube and all the stuff I'm seeing is from there New York facility and they only produce there pedals,pickups, & amps so where do they produce there cabinets at? next question what is the the major difference between there DB & GS series cabs. I know the DB series is made of Baltic Birch but it doesn't say about the GS series which give me the idea of that they are made of MDF or something crappy maybe, there are custom Eminence Speakers in the DB series so what is in the GS series, the weird thing is there is not much of a price difference between the 2 cabs really so as it stands with not much info regarding the GS series on there website I would rather spend the extra few dollars and get the DB series just because of the components and the structure of the cab.

2. johnpbass

johnpbass

The difference between the GS and DB is in the tone. The GS has a more modern slightly scooped tone profile, while the DB has more mid push. All Aggie stuff is made in NYC and is all super solid high quality build.
    I think more players here prefer the DB but I've used the GS for many years now and I prefer that series.
    I'd bet you'll hear back regarding your email. Marco at Aguilar usually gets back to you in no more than one day's time.

3. bass151

bass151

Gs cabs are not poorly made, they are quite high quality. The DB cabs are a newer series for Aguilar, not necessarily better or worse. Owned A GS212 and it was a very nice cab. also owned a GS410 and it just wasn't my thing. I think the GS cabs are a bit more old school sounding, the DB a bit more modern. I am currently interested in a DB410 cab, but there are no local dealers where I can try one. Their is currently a used one for sale locally may try that one. From what I read the DB cabs get quite loud and have a tight modern sound. My concern is they may be a bit too clean sounding for me, maybe not enough low end. First rate company.

4. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Without claiming massive familiarity, my opinion, based on just a few trials in music stores and with other people's gear borrowed on a few gigs, agrees with Johnpbass's. I'd express it as the GS series is better suited for funk, fusion, modern jazz, neo soul, hip hop, world music, reggae etc; while the DB series is better suited for rock, modern country, alt rock, americana, etc.

Of course anything can work with anything, depending on how you use it, your bass, your amp, and your style. I think of the differences I listed as vast generalizations of the tones of their cabs. I also know I prefer the GS stuff, from what I've tried/borrowed/demoed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

I have used DB 112 and 112NT as my rig for the last few years and yes they are loud but i can turn dowm my amp or bass and yes they are clean sounding but i can add some 'grease' to the sound from my amp or pedal. I would much rather have a loud clean set of cabs i can shape, it is very hard to clean up a sound, but giving one some edge is easy.
    I was a user of 10s but the 12s in my cabs are puncher than any 10s i had used previous, so i changed from 4 and 8x10 combinations to 1x12 effectively and lost nothing in doing so......apart for size weight and cost.
    Add to the fact my rig is compact, light easy to use, and looks the biz, with the Black and silver grill......i cannot see me changing any time soon.

Use this info for what it is worth, i am not a GASer my last rig and bass i had for over 20years so i do not change for the sake of it.:)

7. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I have a GS112, GS210, GS115, and GS410. I have never owned a DB series. Only tried a DB810 once, in a store. So, I can't really say much from personal experience about the difference in tone. I have read the same thing johnpbass said about them.

I can say that all my GS cabs seem to have a very full sound. Deep, solid bottom, and good, clean highs.

I believe that the GS and DB cabs are both made from equally high grade materials, using the same high grade techniques. My understanding is that the GS series were designed by the previous owner (?) of Aguilar, and the new owner (Dave Boonshoft?) designed the DB series. So, my (formerly) local boutique dealer intimated to me that Aguilar still sells the GS series (presumably, because people are still buying them), but that they really prefer to sell the DB series. That may also explain why some of the GS series models are no longer available.

8. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Thank you all for your input, actually I wanted to find out if anybody knew what the GS cabs where made from versus the DB cabs are Baltic Birch and what kind of speakers in the GS versus custom made Eminence in the DB series cause again the price difference isn't a whole lot between the two series.

9. KJung

KJung

From posts from the Aguilar guys way back when, the driver and tweeter are identical in both cabs. The much heavier, denser wood used for the DBs (can't remember what the GS uses, but the DB's are heavier and made of different wood), and the very different tuning/porting result in the DB's to have similar low end to the GS's, but much more midrange response.

The cabs are different sounding enough, that there are few who really like both. Strong feelings about both. To the DB guys (like me), the GS's sound scooped in the mids, and a bit disconnected from the tweeter. To the GS guys, the DB's sound overly mid present and a bit honky:p

I guess that is why both lines exist!

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Well put. I am also a DB guy, and never met a GS cab I liked. It's all personal preference, but Aguilar cabs are top notch, no matter the series.

11. blowinblue

blowinblue official non-user of Fender and Ampeg Supporting Member

According to their website the GS series is made out of 7-ply Philippine mahogany and the DB series out of 13-ply Baltic birch. I happen to be one of those oddballs that like both series, which is why I've owned both for a number of years. Po' me...I just can't make up my mind. :)

M. M.

12. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

Yes, the electronic components are the same in DB and GS. They are tuned different. They are even in build quality - great. I used a pair of GS 210's for about 5 years of gigging covers of Reggae and Classic Soul and Motown. I bought them with a AG 500sc. It was a very very very good rig. I tried out the DB 210's and DB 212's - I went with the GS tone. As a note, both will take eq very well.

13. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Don't mean to hijack this post too much.....but does anyone know if the Aguilar DB 810 is actually sealed (infinite baffle like the Ampeg 810E) and not ported?

From the pictures the GS series are definitely front ported, which can explain the difference in sound from the sealed cabs. I could only see that the DB 112 mentions that it's rear ported on the Aguilar website.

Man, that DB 810 seems crazy efficient at 104DB at 1W / 1m.
    I didn't I've seem a sealed cab with that kind of a sensitivity rating.....any ideas?

14. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Bah! I should have looked at the images on Google first!

The DB 810 is REAR Ported! Makes sense....no sealed cab could do something like that. Hmmm....interesting.
    I can understand how some don't like the GS VS DB series. Different porting.....different tuning.