1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What Is The Manufacturing Build / Food Chain Order?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alan Ace Cooper, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Alan Ace Cooper

Alan Ace Cooper Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Devon Basses, DR Strings, EMG pickups, Bag End Cabs
    I passed through my local Guitar Center a few days ago and I became more intrigued with the various basses offered by the same manufacturer but built in various regions. How does the Manufacturing Quality Food Chain line up? Here is my take:

American/USA
    Japan
    Mexico
    Korea
    Indonesia
    China
    Other

Fender offers the Marcus Miller and Geddy Lee basses, formally produced in Japan, now produced in Mexico for a higher price.

LakLand used a Korean builder for their "Off Shore" Skyline models. Now the Off Shore builder, uses another off shore builder and the higher priced Skyline series are now produced in Indonesia. Anyone care to explain?:rollno:

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I don't know why pricing is different. But if everything being produced in Korea is of the same standard as my Breedlove Stage Dreadnaught acoustic guitar, then Korea can easily give the USA and Japan a run for its money as far as quality goes. My Breedlove is absolutely impeccable

3. natw42

natw42 Gold Supporting Member

Cort, the factory which produced the Skylines, left Korea and moved to Indonesia. So same manufacturer, different COO.

4. superjesus

superjesus

I think equating country of origin with instrument quality is overly generalizing the situation.

I really think considering manufacturer, country of origin, year of manufacture, and in many cases factory of origin paints a more accurate picture.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Alan Ace Cooper

Alan Ace Cooper Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Devon Basses, DR Strings, EMG pickups, Bag End Cabs
    @ SUPER - Agreed. There are some Fender Japanese models that I feel surpass their US Counterparts. I also agree with Hopkins, there are many, many Indonesian built acoustic basses that have no other manufacturing equal. Obviously, getting into repairs and resale value skews the values but... I've got stuff owned from all over the place.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I was actually referring to my acoustic guitar. I haven't played a Martin, or Taylor that has been better than this one, but I am sure the same can be said about ABG's. I pan on getting the bass version of my acoustic as well.

8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I also agree. I recently got a Classic Vibe Jazz (Made in China) that could easily stand up to it's North American counterparts. Maybe I just lucked out, but from what I've heard from other TB'ers, the CV line is made with a high degree of quality control.

And on that note; I believe proper, company-mandated-and-enforced QC has a tremendous impact on the finished product, no matter what the country of origin happens to be.

9. Diamond_Dave

Diamond_Dave

I know a lot of owners of Eastman guitars would place China a lot higher on the list...;)

My Chinese Ibby six-string Artcore is perfect. Perfect.

It all depends.