What is the most customizable bass guitar on the market?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slurfious, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Slurfious

Slurfious

The s10 of bass guitars.

2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Probably a Jazz bass.

3. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 I'm no gynecologist but I'll take a look. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Commercial FREE!
    S10 ? Like my old '86 pickup?

4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

+1

There are SO MANY aftermarket parts that have been made for Fender Jazz basses that it's mind-blowing. Between tuners, bridges, pickguards, onboard preamps and pickups there are an amazing number of options out there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

The Dean Edge could be modded into a really good bass.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Jazz Bass without a doubt. The AK47 of basses, disassembled and brought back together within minutes, with hundreds of variations available for each part.

8. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

I was gonna say Michael Dolan instruments, but are we speaking of aftermarket parts? Yeah, probably a Jazz.

9. ivlucas

ivlucas Supporting Member

If you go with a Kudela you pick the wood, electronics all made from scratch so the possiblities are limitless. www.kudelabasses.com

10. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

^????

I'm assuming you want a bass to mess around with, swapping out parts, etc. Jazz Bass. Almost all Fender (MIA, MIM, MIJ, Indo, China), Squire, SX, Warmoth, etc Jazz Bass parts are interchangeable. Hundreds of aftermarket parts. The Harley of the bass world.

11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

An exception would be basses from the discontinued Squier Standard line. I've owned/traded/sold almost half-a-dozen and I've learned the hard way that they strayed from the common Fender "footprint" to make modding and upgrading them a royal pain. It's not that they were way, waaaaaay off, but just enough to have aggravating little roadblocks pop up where you least expect it. :mad:

12. Slurfious

Slurfious

So that would be my best choice for making a totally unique bass? I want to make my own sound.

13. billiam5billion

billiam5billion

There's also an exception in the mid 90's MIM Jazz basses, since the pickup cavities were the same size and all aftermarket pickups have a slightly wider bridge pup.

14. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Not being a troll, but IMO, a jazz will always sound like a jazz, no matter what you do to it. Unless you put in p pickups or a mudbucker or something. But then again, you could do pretty much anything to any bass with enough work.

If you want to create a bass all your own, Warmoth or Carvin would be two options to look toward.

15. electracoyote

electracoyote

Careful. The SX is not compatible with standard Fender specs in a couple of areas.

16. Apolicious

Apolicious

Seriously! And it's not just the standard line, all kinds of Squiers have these weird little quirks that seem intentionally designed to get in the way. My favorite trick of theirs is moving one the screws on the pickguard like 1/8" away from Fender models. Practically identical when you eyeball it, but very frustrating once you try to slap one on. "Almost perfect, but not quite."

17. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

The mod options for a J bass are the most varied, but it will still have the same basic character of a J bass. My advice would be to approach it the other way around. Find the bass that come the closest to the sound you want, and then massage it to your ideal sound.