What is the next step after community orchestras?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by NickyBass, Sep 13, 2012.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass

This is my second year with my community orchestra. My background is jazz, salsa and tango, but I've always played classical. I am going to continue playing with my current orchestra, but I was wondering what I should be working towards in the future. I was wondering if there are 'semi-professional' orchestras that are still made up of people with day jobs, kids and other responsibilities...something advanced, but not quite full-time. I have been looking around, but haven't found much info. I live in the NJ/Philadelphia area.
  2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

In your immediate area, I would check out Symphony in C http://symphonyinc.org/. Most places that have an active student population will have gig orchestras. Not full time, to be sure, but something to keep yourself busy with.
  3. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Wow, the section for that orchestra is all current Curtis students, including one who just won a job in the NY Phil. Dang...

Also, this from the auditions page
    "Auditions are open to students pursuing a degree at a college, university, or conservatory and recent graduates."

Perhaps not what the OP was looking for...
  4. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Yep. It's a training orchestra in the manner of New World or Chicago Civic. Maybe not quite New World but you get the gist.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

All orchestras at that level will be aimed at students of conservatories or prestigious colleges of music. I was just throwing out the possible middle tier in between community orchestras and pro bands. I don't know how this guy plays, but this is one of the semi-pro bands I know of in the area.

The real answer is there isn't really a middle tier between community orchestras and ICSOM orchestras.
  7. NickyBass

NickyBass

Thanks for the info guys. I heard about the Symphony in C audition, but I'm nowhere near the point to be auditioning against Curtis students. I went to college for music (University of the Arts) but my major was jazz, so I am still learning the nuances of playing in an orchestra.

Ultimately, I am not even interested in getting paid. I'm just looking to prepare for something that has strict entry requirements. I love my community orchestra, but I also want something that will really kick my butt.
  8. mjt0229

mjt0229

Here in Boston, there are tons of amateur orchestras spanning the entire range of abilities. Some don't require auditions, some are competitive but unpaid, others mix professionals and amateurs. Even in a city with three outstanding music schools and many other excellent programs, most of them are desperate for bassists. I've found that it's really only my schedule that limits me from playing more.

I hear about a lot of gigs just by talking to other folks in my section. You might also ask your teacher where other students play, if you haven't already. The orchestras I play with most I found just by doing some strategic googling before I moved to the area.