1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is the safest stand for your bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jason Wilson, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Hey
    Just wondering, I want to get a really good stand for my new bass. Just wanted to know what you guys use and any brands to stay away from.
    It needs to be able to fold down and secure the bass incase of knocks etc.

Cheers

2. Ivan R

Ivan R

No stand is fully safe. The only safe "stand" is the case.

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

4. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I use the Ultimate GS100 for gigs. I've got a few Hercules stands as well. Either one is great.

The GS100 folds up smaller, thats why I use it for gigs.

7. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

I've used these for over twenty years. Hamilton Stand. You have to keep an eye on the foam for the yoke, it degrades over time and can put nasty dents in your headstock if you aren't careful. Never had one fall over in all these years. Not even sure if you can find them anymore, last one I found on ebay four years ago.
    [​IMG]

8. KJung

KJung

Hercules hanging stands. The center of gravity is so low, it is virtually impossible to knock the bass over. Also, it doesn't care how asymmetrical the bottom of your bass is. Very stable. It is a bit large when folded, but that is a small price to pay if you have a bass you care about.

9. tinman 1967

tinman 1967 Supporting Member

10. Ivan M

Ivan M

Hercules for me as well, best stand I have ever owned. Pretty large foot print but small price to pay for my basses.

11. Junk420

Junk420

+1 on the Herc

12. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Thanks for your reply. With your collection on basses I would be looking after them as well. Very nice!!

13. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Ha ha, I have only knobed my bass over a few times. I then decided I should wear pants around them.

Thanks!

14. KJung

KJung

:D fixed my typo:p

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

I use a couple ultimates.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...-100-genesis-single-guitar-stand?src=3WWRWXGP

They fold nice and yet are very strong stable and light. I've made cutouts in my main axe hard cases where the ultimate fits. The idea is that each case is a self-contained entity for that bass. Each includes the stand, the strap for that bass, a cord for that bass, a kit of all tools (Allen wrenches etc.) needed for emergency repairs for that bass and spare set of strings for that bass and battery if needed. Grab the case and you don't have to worry about leaving a strap etc. at home.

Lesser basses are similar but use cheap woven straps, junk cords, and some little emergency Sam Ash stands that are low things that open like a book. They sort of suck, and I have them only for emergencies where I forget an ultimate and they are (marginally) better than leaning a bass in a corner. I try to keep a couple of those junker pipe stands that are always on sale in the truck so I'm not reduced to using the floor things.

16. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I use Hercs but keep a markbass bass keeper in my gig bag for emergencies...like when I forget my Herc and leave it sitting in the garage. DOH!

17. KJung

KJung

FYI...I used the GS100 for a couple of years or so (had a couple of them), and do like the fact that they fold up a bit smaller. However, both of them failed (once with a bass hanging on it... luckily I was there and grabbed it before it hit the stage). The plastic 'clamp' that adjusts the height wore out on both of the stands I had, and 'let go'. The Hercules has a metal locking mechanism.

I don[t recommend the Ultimates any more, even though I like the general design better.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Ultimate guitar stands

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I use the Warwick 3 guitar stand.

20. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

21. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

I use the Ultimate GS-1000 and GS-100, they are both great stands. I've also dealt with their customer service folks. Who provided me with truly great service.
    I highly recommend them.