What is the WORST thing you can do to upgrade your bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Is there any one here on TB who made one or more upgrades to his bass guitar and has the idea it is probably one of the worst things you can do to your bass?
  2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Always a personal question but past tuners not holding the instrument in tune or switching pickups, I think other upgrades are pretty useless. It's better to keep the instrument stock and upgrade the whole instrument if it's not suiting you.

By keeping the instrument in its original condition you get more value on the resell. Customizing a bass kills resell value most of the times.

PS: upgrade your strings. Always a good investment!
  3. JimK

JimK

I have added a Jazz bridge pickup to a couple of P-basses...that opened up everything.
    See, they did not manufacture PJ basses in that time frame.
    I am not a fan of Fender bridges, either.

Anyway, I have read a few times how Will Lee added numerous pickups to his P-bass...something like 7?!?! He said that bass sounded so crappy it almost cost him his recording career.
    So, I would say (unless you're in an early Allman Brothers tribute band)...go easy with the extra "extra" pickups. Be careful where you have then installed, too.
  4. Michedelic

Michedelic

Um, route out a '66 P-bass to install an EMG P/J set. I know, I know...it was 1985, OK? In the words of Marty Fufkin, "Kick My Ass. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you..."
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic

uh, sorry that was ARTIE Fufkin. My timing is bad....
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Defret the neck only to find out you're just not a fretless player? :bag:
  8. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

Route on any bass that retains its value or goes up in value.
    That's why I buy cheaper cast aways and mod the sh#t out of em. If it doesn't work out no real harm but if it does that's great.
  9. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

In 1980 I installed a diMarzio j bridge pup on my 71P. Still sounds good, no regrets.

I'm less fond of the brass nut installed on the 65 neck I was using at the time. Still have the original nut, though.
  10. Michedelic

Michedelic

Yeah, on face value it seemed like a stupid move, but it's my #1, my player, my 'wife'; got it as new old stock in 1969, essentially growing up with it, and while I had to replace the "P" portion in the late 80's, I'm still quite happy with the sound.
  11. JimK

JimK

Mine was a '64...it had been to Hell & back before I bought it in '75 for $200.
    It was a player's bass...it was my main axe so I did what I hadda do (in 1983).
    One of those early Pat Metheny Group albums...on the back cover, Mark Egan is playing a PJ bass. I wonder what year his P-bass was?
    Same for Randy Tico of Matrix. I have a '70s album of theirs (Harvest) that shows Tico playing a nice PJ bass.
    Point is, we're not alone.
    ;)

That's a good one.
  12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I'm immediately turned off instruments when I see stickers. Might be cool if you're trying to pull off a "punk" look, but for my taste, they just don't look good in other situations.
  13. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

IMO, the worst thing you can do to mod your bass is to plan on modding and buy the parts before you even have the bass in your hands.
  14. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Probably the worst thing you can do is add a spoiler so that it will go faster, but's that's so awful I've never seen it done.
  15. JimK

JimK

Same here & that includes the "block" stickers for the neck…seen a few threads about those popping up of late.
  16. og61pbass

og61pbass

the worst is swapping out pickups and bridges just cause everyone thinks its the cool thing to do when the stock stuff is just fine...Squier VMs for example...:bag:
  17. ZenG

ZenG

Cut three frets off and glue the neck back on to make it into a shortscale.....
  18. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

I see a lot of defretted basses that are probably functional but look terrible. You may as well get a replacement fretless neck and keep the original just in case. When there are better options than defretting, you're basically ruining a good fretted neck.
  19. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

I surmise by the :bag: emoticon you are at least partially goofing around, but I actually agree with your statement.
  20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

The worst mod ever was one I saw on a guitar.

The guy had added a propeller to the headstock. I don't know why.
  21. og61pbass

og61pbass

I was serious, its true what i said...:D