What is this '95 Jazz bass worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j@zz_b@ss, Jan 31, 2014.

1. j@zz_b@ss

j@zz_b@ss Supporting Member

So I meet a sound guy and he mentions that he is selling this bass he has. Its a '95 Jazz 5 string that had the frets removed and the fretboard is pretty torn up visually but no deep grooves. Not sure if you can tell from pics but its a nice deep red clear stain body. He said he wanted $700 with the case..... Is it worth it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

$700 is way too high considering what looks like a shoddy defret job. My guess is it's value would be based only on the body. Maybe $300? $400?
  3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Agreed, I think the neck is nearly worthless. Maple fretboards on a fretless is destined for disaster.
    Rocky
  4. johnson79

johnson79

Looks like an American Standard. Too bad they popped the frets. Looks like a beauty.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. j@zz_b@ss

It's an American and the Fender site says its a '95. Did Standards come with the clear Red like that? The fingerboard is rosewood, pics aren't accurate because the varnish or whatever on the board is reflecting the light. So that is trashed and can't have the finish sanded or stripped off? Dam, really liked the body color...
  7. johnson79

johnson79

You think it's maple? I think they used pau ferro on some of those. Hard to tell, either way it looks like hell.
  8. johnson79

johnson79

Warmoth makes a 5 string neck. See if you can get the bass cheap and get a new neck. That body finish is a beauty.
  9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1

$700 is nuts.
  10. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

$700 minus the replacement cost of a neck maybe.
  11. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

+1 looks like (what used to be fingerboard) made of pau ferro
  12. MIMike

MIMike

$700 wouldn't be a bad price if was all original. What's the going rate for a re-fret in your parts? I would deduct the cost of a (quality) re-fret + fretboard reconditioning and offer something close to that. Maybe $450ish (assuming you like the sound and feel of it).
  13. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Definitely not looking like maple grain between the "E" and "B". My bet is on pau ferro.

It doesn't look beyond recovery for a fretless. I doubt it could be re-fretted the way those slots look, but some luthiers can work magic on filling slots.

The easier task would be to clean out the slots and glue in maple veneer, work it down with a radius block and clearcoat with something hard as rock.

I'd put the value closer to $400
  14. j@zz_b@ss

Great info, thanks guys!!
  15. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I think $400-$500 tops is fair. The case is worth $50, the body $300 or so and the hardware from the neck $50. The neck itself about worthless.

I would still buy it but for the less price and get a new neck.
  16. j@zz_b@ss

So I talked to the guy and decided to buy it at a lower price. I really like the body and I figure that I could get a used neck down the road and have a really nice 5 string. Worse comes to worse I could part it out and get my money back. But in the meantime, I'd like to make the neck as smooth as possible to try out the fretless world. How hard would it be to sand the remaining varnish off the neck? I talked to a tech at local music store and he said that he would sand it with a radius block. If anyone know whats the neck radius is, I could buy a block. I don't want to spend much money on this neck and I figure I probably can't make it worse. Any suggestions? Thanks all!!!
  17. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

It looks to me like somebody put a darker finish over the fingerboard, after they defretted it. Either that, or the applied finish has darkened where it's been played the most. Whatever the case, it wouldn't be that hard to remove, since none of it is actually down to the wood(that I can see). Don't sand on that thing...there's probably a liquified chemical of some kind that would easily remove that finish. Again...don't sand.

They didn't pull any chunks of wood out when the pulled the frets, either. That neck isn't worthless at all.

Fender put a lot of detail in those "new" American Standards(1995-1999ish..my favorite Fender era btw). I could see paying around six hundred for it, if everything does as it should. Had no idea they did five string Am. Stnds in those days.
  18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

hideous
    kinky
  19. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Hint for hint...I remember who I said that in front of. Bring on Teri Bull. lol

Oh well.
  20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Neck,_fingerboard.html
  21. j@zz_b@ss

So I thought I would update... I taped of the neck and I was able to wipe away the finish with thinner. I applied some lemon oil after and it looks much, much better. There is a little bit of dark spots still showing where the finish had worn away but it's still a huge improvement. It plays pretty well but needs work because it buzzes from the low spots. I've since bought a Squier VM fretless (love it, great for fretless beginner) and now considering to either get replacement neck or re-fret the 5 string.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1400621466.881427.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1400621538.047602.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1400621591.530985.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1400621623.247664.jpg