1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is this amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jeff Elkins, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Went to see Lake Street Dive last month at the Grey Eagle in Asheville. Great show, but I'll save my praise for Bridget Kearney (and I have a LOT) for a different post.
    She runs her upright bass through a TubeScreamer for one song (Bobby Tanqueray), and she has (and uses) a Morley Volume Plus pedal and also a tuner on her board, along with her amp. The end of the chain is an Acoustic 212 (I think)... But I'd like to know what she's using to drive it!
    I snapped a terrible low-light pic--can anyone identify this micro from the back?
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1394290757.090305.jpg

2. Flatbass

Flatbass

That black thing? Are you sure it's an amp at all? It looks to be the first thing in chain, so I'd guess it's a wireless receiver.

3. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

yep,
    she does it right!

in charlotte she had a little combo behind her

4. Jeff Elkins

I'm not sure that it's not a wireless receiver, but the bass was wired from the pickup, so I think it's not. Also, No antenna that I could see.
    It was a tight-ish stage and she was furthest back, gear partially hidden by drums, but I'm almost positive that the cab she was using was an Acoustic B210 Neo--the front looks exactly right. There could have been more rig outside of my vision, but I don't believe it. I'd put money on that being the amp.
    But I've searched the butt ends of every amp I could think of, and none have that layout. Possibly an older model where pics aren't on the web anymore...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Elkins

Truth! In no other band in recent memory is the bass player more foundational. Nothing the other musicians do is as structurally or harmonically important, IMO, but the platform she gives them lets SO many cool things happen that would be total FAILS in any other context; YM(or taste)MV.
    And she grooves so hard. :bassist:

7. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Well, it's not an EA Micro 300 – just checked the back of mine.

I'm always interested in upright through effects and wasn't aware of Bridget Kearney. Thanks for the post.

PS: Ooops. I had seen the "I Want You Back" vid of this band before. So... thanks for the reminder!

8. Jeff Elkins

You're welcome, and thanks for checking!
    I lost an afternoon to watching old and new LSD videos. The new album really has a sound. Jazz sensibility, R&B guts, and pop personality. I can't think of a non-cliche analogy to describe how Bridget is the motor that makes it all run.
    I'm going to have to change the title of the thread or start a new one about her!

Edit: not to take anything away from the other extremely talented members of the group. But, well, bassists...

9. Jeff Elkins

Anyone else able to take a stab at identifying the box from my grainy photo?

10. Jeff Elkins

Well, if all else fails, go to the source. I sent Bridget an email and asked her. :)
    It's a PreSonus Acoustic-Q tube preamp. She runs a Fishman Full Circle pickup into it, and is quite happy with the tones she can get.
    (This is close to my favorite upright setup, excepting that I use an ART Tube Pre--or did until the tube started hissing).
    Wanted to confirm--I hadn't seen anything but the cabinet on stage in Asheville, but she also told me that she uses an Acoustic Image amplifier (mentioning that different combos work better for different rooms).
    Since she took my interest to be more "how do you get your tone," which was a fair assumption, she took a teaching moment to mention that she gets most of her sound(s) from her fingers and technique--and cautioned me not to discount that in my quest for good upright tone.
    Fun stuff.

11. Cirk

Cirk

It's really nice how she responded with more info than you asked for, as well as the encouragement on technique. Very respectable.

12. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

It's fantastic that she replied. I found out last night that the band is good friends with the son of some people we know. The last time they came through Seattle, they stayed in our friends' house. It's a small, small world.

I have to agree that Bridget Kerney is the real motor of that band. She's absolutely stellar. Rachel Price's vocals are spectacular, but the bass starts it all off and finishes it all off. Looks like I have to buy some vinyl. I only have the CDs so far.

I figured out that she was using a full circle when we saw them last night, but the amp was a mystery until now. It doesn't matter. I don't have her technique. There's always something to work toward!

13. Jeff Elkins

Me. Neither. But I'm also going to work on it. I've talked the banjo player in my bluegrass band into putting together a jazz(y) duo (he also plays finger style guitar) so I have an outlet and a motivation to practice more complex stuff. #inspiredbyLSD