What Is This Dog's Name?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Charley Umbria, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Here's the story: my wife brought home this stray dog that she found near her office. The poor guy was out in the sub-freezing temperatures and clearly hasn't eaten in quite a while. He's got a dislocated hip that the vet says could have come from being hit by a car, but was more likely caused by some dirtbag kicking him.

Anyway, we've been calling him Sam, but that's obviously not the name he's used to. We've spent a couple of evenings calling out stream-of-consciousness names to see if he responds to any of them, but haven't had any luck, so far.

So, I started thinking, "Someone must have originally picked a name for this dog for a reason (unless the dog was just given some random handle like, "Windex"). If I ask enough people what they would name this dog, maybe one of them will come up with the same thing!"

So, here's my question: What would you name this dog? Please bear in mind, I'm not looking for cool name ideas (although I did tell my wife that if the dog answered to Geddy, The Ox, or Dee Murray, it could stay...), but the name that you think best fits him.

Here's the mutt in question:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, this thread is not a poorly-disguised attempt to get one of you to take the dog! However, once his hip has been repaired and he's walking again, we will be trying to find him a good home. He's a sweet and gentle dog. Still a little skittish, but unfazed by our two St. Bernards. If no one steps up, you may see Sammy in the TB Classifieds! :D

2. bassteban

bassteban

That's a Sam if I ever saw one. Or Rex

3. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

He looks very cute and mischievous, with a good personality. So I'm gonna say Rufus.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Jax. Jack. Jasper. All the strays I've ever found answer to "biscuits".....

7. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Maybe Max, or Sparkie.

8. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

That "mutt" is either a Border Collie or a BC-mix. Watch for his energy level... BCs are working dogs, and a lot of people are not prepared for how much energy they have, and how much they need to have a job.

I'd call him Jaques, or Jock, a common name in the Scots border region where BCs come from.

9. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Did the Vet conclude that it has been too long to attempt a closed reduction? Surgery is inevitable?

I realize that your in the south and I'm in the north east so we have way different frequency of truly stray doggies running around but I hope your trying to find his potential owners??

Adds around where you found him? Craiglist lost puppies adds?you place one for found... ext.

As for figuring out his name? Google most common dog names and start at the top of the list!!! Max?

10. electracoyote

electracoyote

+1, I'd stick with Sam.

That is one intelligent dog, you can tell. I bet you could train him quick to your household "pack" standards and he wouldn't give you a lick of trouble ever.

Did the vet re-set the hip? What's the prognosis? Has this dog been micro-chipped?

It's your call OP, but I'd have a hard time taking a dog like that to the shelter and the uncertain fate that would await him there.

11. elgecko

elgecko

He looks part Border Collie...McCollie Culkin!

:bag:

12. SunnModelT

SunnModelT

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

He looks like a Boss.

Border Collies are very smart as a rule. We call them eye dogs, used to herd sheep without barking. They have a strange fascination with rolling wheels and try to herd them too.

14. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

always trust your gut, Sam sounds perfect. Hope he makes a full recovery

16. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Yup ,,, very likely has some kind of herder in him. And as such,,,yes Very Smart doggie.

Of corse he can learn a new name, really fast.

17. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

He looks like your new sidekick, I'd call him "Tonto".

18. repoman

repoman

19. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

That dog's name is "Dammit"

All my dogs have been named that

20. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Sure is a handsome fella! I like Lloyd.

21. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

George
    or
    Oscar