1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What is this? Musicmaster Fender Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Macrocosmcwh, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Macrocosmcwh

Macrocosmcwh Gold Supporting Member

Hello... I found a 1978 Musicmaster Fender Bass. I have not heard of this bass. Can anyone shed some light? It is $450.00 is that a good deal?????

Thanks!
  2. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

$450 is pretty good - BUT everything depends on condition, color, etc. If I'm not mistaken the MM was entry level, short scale.
  3. Macrocosmcwh

Never played... (according to seller) Black...
  4. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

450 seems high, unless it's in really good condition. I have a '78 and replaced the pickup with an AERO and it sounds great. I'm not really a Short Scale guy, so I have never used it at a gig. It's fun to noodle around on though.
  5. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

I had an early one with the heart-shaped tuners... it sounded good through a guitar amp (because it comes with a guitar pickup.) I sold it for $175 eight years ago and thought I made a killing... I guess I should have waited! Hahaha!

Those originally came as a set with a Musicmaster amp. For a short while you could get Squier Vista series re-issue ones, too.
  6. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

Fender MusicMaster was made in the 1970's with spare Mustang parts. Oddly, Fender used surplus guitar pick-ups. The late 70's models are a bit less desirable than the earlier ones. $450 seems about the going rate on ebay. If the bass is original you might want to buy it, they are fun little basses and becoming more collectible.
  7. Macrocosmcwh

hahaha So you are all saying this is NOT a bass I could purchase and turn for a profit? LOL OK... Seemed like a good deal. But I suppose not.
  8. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Fenders always go up in price... buy it, play it for ten years, and I bet you could sell it for more.
  9. gus79seyffert

gus79seyffert

i like them, but early 70's are better. supposedly the same pickup as a strat.
  10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Nice little bass in all honesty the new Squire ones play better. The earlier the more valuable. A easy way to get into vintage Fenders, 450 seems about right as long as it is in good shape I have a white 70's one.[​IMG]
  11. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

I posted above that $450 seemed pretty good. I guess I stand corrected based on eBay prices, haven't looked myself. I was basing my comment on the prices I see now at a well known east coast independent store, which prices their mid to late 70s MMs at $650-800 or more.

OP - where is your seller, if you aren't buying? AZ, I suppose?
  12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

NOT a Strat pickup. It's the same six-pole pickup they used on the Music Master guitar however, and the Mustang guitar. Fender's lowest entry level bass. 30" scale, the bridge has only two saddles (sort of like the original P bass brdige 1951-1957, except top load), and the previously mentioned guitar pickup.

$450 is more than I'd pay for one of any vintage, but I'm neither a fan of short-scale basses nor particularly interested in '70s Fenders, having been a dealer who had to try to justify the prices on them when they were new.

John
  13. Macrocosmcwh

Yes in AZ Phoenix... Check Craigslist. I am not gonna get it.
  14. DougBass

DougBass Supporting Member

I have a black on black 78 Musicmaster. I love mine. Never would be a main instrument, but it would buy another if something happened to mine. I have used rounds and flats. Fit and finish on mine is not great. Frets are rough too. My buddy gave it to me as a present.
  15. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

It was my first bass and put a Dimarzio in it It thumped along very nicely. A very Nice alternative would be a USA Bullet Bass. Full Scale and More Like a P-Bass.