1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

What is this on my bass and can I remove it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeXetic, Dec 30, 2012.

1. HeXetic

HeXetic

I'm referring to the piece of metal going from the bridge to the bridge pickup. This is a '92 Fender Jazz Bazz, Japanese made. Someone told me it's to earth the pickups but is that really what it is?

[​IMG]
  2. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Can't see the pic, but what you describe is a ground for the bridge. If you remove, you have to ground the bridge by soldering a wire from a pot to the bridge.

And why remove? Those things are killer looking.
  3. BassNeo

BassNeo

Not familiar with the model, but it might be a shortcut to the bridge ground instead of drilling a hole to the cavity.

If you want to get rid of it you'll have to drill a hole under the bridge that leads to the cavity under the pickguard.
  4. HeXetic

HeXetic

Ah I see so it is there as a ground for the bridge.

I don't really want to remove it and by the sound of it it's a hassle just for an aesthetic change. I was just curious as to what it's for. I've never seen this sort of thing on a bass before.
  5. BassAgent

BassAgent

Yes, it's an early 60's style ground for the bridge. Later Fender soldered a piece of wire between the pots and the jack output. Both work equally fine. It's brass, IIRC.

Here's a 1964 Jazz for comparison:
    [​IMG]
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

there you go.

they originally came that way because all of that was hidden under the big metal cover, and nobody would ever remove those, right?
  7. joe vegas

joe vegas

That's a gorgeous J bass in the pic above. Lotta history there.
  8. BassAgent

BassAgent

Unfortunately, not mine. Got it from my good friend Google. Mine has some history on it as well, but doesn't have the brass strip so it doesn't count in this thread ;)
  9. Arial Bender

Arial Bender Supporting Member

Black Sharpies work wonders.
  10. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    +1 .
    (Great minds think alike, and ours do too)
  11. HeXetic

HeXetic

Haha, I can't do that. Since I know it's a piece of vintage Fender, I can't cover it up.
  12. BassAgent

BassAgent

'92 is hardly vintage, is it? ;) If you don't like it, change it. All that whining about keeping stuff original...
  13. HeXetic

HeXetic

Yeah you're right, it's not exactly vintage, not yet.

The thing is I really don't mind having it there. I have a Fender J Bass, it works great and life is good. No complaining from me :)
  14. BassAgent

BassAgent

Exactly! Those MIJ basses are amazing :)
  15. Spectrum

Spectrum

Stupid question: what happens if the bridge/strings aren't grounded? I've held tuner speakers (the kind that emit a tone) up to my pickups before and the sound came through the amp loud and clear, and those aren't grounded.
  16. BassAgent

BassAgent

Buzzzzzzzzzzz
  17. Spectrum

Spectrum

Ah, that makes sense.
  18. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the ground to the jack output has to be there on any bass or you'd never get a signal. As far as I know, the early bridge ground scheme was discontinued only when Fender started drilling a hole from under the bridge to the control cavity.

If the bridge isn't grounded, you'll get more hum/noise, especially where there is interference like neon signs, a poorly grounded electrical outlet, a CRT monitor, etc.
  19. BassAgent

BassAgent

Yup, you're right, my mistake :)
  20. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Earth = Ground?