1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

What is this speaker wiring (photos)!?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lorenzop, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Hi

Just picked up a guitar TT Cabs 2x10 with 2 Celestion 8ohm speakers in it.
    The cab has 2 speaker jacks in it. Trying to figure out how and what to plug in (seller didn't know) I opened it up but I really couldn't get my head round the wiring:

I need to know:
    1) How is it wired? Series or Parallel? What is the total impedance?

2) How are the jacks wired?
    Is there here a strange stereo setup?

3) Assuming my amp impedance and outs allow it, what jacks ins on cab do I use n.1 or n.2 to connect my amp? Or do I need to run 2 cables from my Amp output?

Is there any better way to rewire this 2x10 cab?
    I had it once tried with an old vintage head and had terrible buzzing with no guitar plugged in/also plugged in, either jack equally noisy. Strange because the head apparently was just out of the tech shop. Could this strange wiring of the cab have anything to do with it?

Thanks a lot for your support!!!!

Ps I didn't have red colour so in diagram the red wire is green... :) Also I have no idea what is + and - Thanks!
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389025790.467596.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389025818.483389.jpg

2. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Looks like the drivers are wired in series, and the extra jack is wired so that if you add another cab, that cab will be in parallel with this cab. Looks absolutely fine to me.

Tom

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

1) they are wired serial, total impedance 16Ω

2) parallel

3) you can use either ¼" jack to connect to your amp. The second jack is a parallel connection used to daisy chain another cab. Connect another 16 ohm cab and the impedance seen by the amp will be 8 ohms.

Look on the speakers to ensure that the + speaker terminal is connected to the other speaker's - terminal. This will confirm that the speakers are connected in series.

Use an ohm meter to measure the DC resistance at the jack. If it reads somewhere around 11.2 ohms, the total impedance is 16 ohms.

With two speakers, you can rewire them in parallel to give you a total impedance of 4 ohms.

4. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Thanks guys this is great I think I get it now!
    Series it is! :)

5. Register to disable this ad